Chapter Twenty-Five

One more chappie guys....so close to finishing my first novel ever!  Eep!  Don't forget to

Comment

Vote

Fan

_________________________________________________________________________

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

            Luke shuffled his feet anxiously, he needed to get into that room!  Jaxon had interrogated the man, and they had learned that Charlene had been branded.  It killed Luke inside to hear that someone could do that to another human being, let alone a teenage girl.  If someone ever did that to Vanessa.  Luke grunted, here he was, comparing Charlene to his little sister.

            Jaxon was making them wait behind the cover of a group of machines just outside the door.  He had insisted that they wait just a bit, so nobody would get suspicious.  He felt that it would be best if they could get Chad when he was exiting, that way he would be taken completely off guard and they would possibly get the upper hand.

            The two men that they had knocked unconscious were tied up with their own belts and hidden a few rows down.  Jaxon was positive that they would be out for at least a few hours, and Luke had to take his word for that.  It was starting to get dark now, Luke had probably been there for almost two hours and the dim fluorescent lights just made the mood that much eerier.  He shifted uncomfortably against the cold concrete floor.  His breath was creating a slight fog, twisting around in the soiled air.

            Parker was still out cold, Jaxon had him sitting and leaning up against the machine between the two of them.  He looked just as lifeless and pale as he had been after his dramatic exit from the hospital, which had caused them to be called out by the hospital security.  If there wasn’t a charge for Luke beating up a handful of men, there would be one from him stealing an intensive care patient.

            “I can’t take this anymore,” Luke grumbled and Jaxon just rolled his eyes at the teen’s impatience. 

            “Just a bit more.  Trust me, we need surprise on our side.”

            “He’s just one guy!  Can’t we just run in with guns and take him out?” Jaxon chuckled at his ignorance.

            “One guy by the name of Chad James, we would both be dead with a bullet in our chests before that door was fully open.  Trust me on that one.  He’s a great shot.” Luke frowned.  “How about this,” Jaxon started, “I get James, you get Charlene and Parker out of here.  Deal?”

            “You’re not coming?” Luke asked, a little surprised.  Jaxon just shrugged.  The door handle wriggled, making a small scratching noise and both of the guys fell silent, awaiting Chad to play into their trap.

            Jaxon crunched down, coiling like a cat ready to spring on the unsuspecting bird. 

            Just as planned Chad walked out first, head held high with his daughter on his heels.  Charlene looked absolutely defeated, her head was hanging low and she was dragging her feet as she followed close behind her father.  Luke could see the bubbling burn on her wrist and he was instantly angered. 

            Chad and Charlene got a few steps ahead of them before Chad stopped.  He started to turn, as if he had seen them, but it was too late.  Jaxon sprang onto Chad, tackling him to the ground.  That was Luke’s cue.

            My head flew up in surprise.  Was that, Jaxon?  I thought he had been ‘taken care’ of.  My dad fell to the ground and I took a stumbling and rather stunned step back.  I was in a daze.  What was going on?  A hand grabbed my wrist and I shrieked, spinning with a hand balled up into a fist and swinging, ready to take out the newcomer.