Chapter 13

Inside the Royal Palace the King had called upon Claude Frollo when a disturbing matter was brought to his attention. In his possession were a few copies of the pamphlet Quasimodo had created and distributed to people of different occupations around the city. Upon reading its content the King scrunched up one of the pamphlets in anger.

"These pamphlets are being distributed by thieves, craftsman and students throughout Paris" he said as he threw the crumpled up parchment to the floor.

Frollo kneeled down and picked up another that was on the floor and when he looked at it what caught his attention the most was the format of the document.

"The product of a Printing Press, sire" he said flabbergasted.

"Well you must have missed one!" said the King as he stood in front of his throne.

"Yes I-I am not perfect" said Frollo as he firmly gripped the pamphlet.

"Look out of the window! Paris is tearing itself down! The common people are calling for me to pardon this gypsy. My fellow nobles demand justice, they call for me to suspend Sanctuary!" said the King as he moved towards the window but kept his eyes on Frollo the whole time.

"That would be a terrible president" said Frollo trying to defuse the King's temper.

"She killed my High Minister!" exclaimed the King.

"Majesty, Gauchére and I were not of like minds. But believe me in this I want nothing more than to see this woman punished" said Frollo, his speech never faltered as the lie passed through his lips.

The King walked back to his throne and sat down.

"I will continue the ban on printed books" he said in authority.

Frollo went to speak but the King interrupted him.

"And the Presses necessary to create them"

The declaration brought a sinister smile of Frollo's face. Now he felt he had finally achieved his goal. He approached the King and kissed him on the forehead as though he was bestowing his blessing upon him.

"God Bless you. I knew that you would" he said before he stepped down.

"I will find the people responsible for these pamphlets. And I will deal with them" he continued as he made his way towards the door.

"Claude! What am I supposed to do about this gypsy woman?" he asked desperately.

"Prepare to administer justice to her in the morning" said Frollo as he proceeded to leave the throne room.

"But the law of Sanctuary!?" said the King

"Says that YOU! Can not take her from the church!" said Frollo in authority before leaving the Palace and returned to the Cathedral.

XXX

When he arrived the first place he went to was the storage room where the Printing Press was kept. He ripped the tarp off of it and immediately discovered fresh ink on the Press which angered him to the core for he knew who was responsible for this.

"Quasimodo" he said softly as he trembled with anger.

He then looked up towards the ceiling.

"QUASIMODO!" he roared with great anger.

He left the room abruptly and made his way up the stairs towards the bell tower. After he reached the top he looked all around to see if Quasimodo was around but he hadn't returned from the Court of Miracles.

As if he were a phantom the old priest approached the bed to find Sapphira lying there asleep with Moshi beside her. For a moment he stood there admiring her in her vulnerable state and longed to run his fingers through her soft raven hair and along her flawless skin but as quick as he was in a trance he had brought himself out of it. Swiftly he placed his hand over her mouth, Sapphira awoke with a startle and when she saw her tormentor standing over her she tried to fight him off with all of her might but he was too strong.

Moshi was awaken by his mistress' muffled screams and tried to jump in to help her only to have Frollo shove him away so hard that he flew across the room and hit the wall rendering him unconscious.

The young gypsy girl managed to free herself and tried to reach the rope for the bell to call on Quasimodo for help. Frollo recovered quickly and grabbed her making sure to keep one hand over her mouth and around her waist, keeping her hands and her side so she couldn't escape again. With unbelieveable strength Frollo dragged her down the stairs and outside the Cathedral threshold where two Royal Guards were waiting for them. He shoved her into their awaiting arms and they dragged her back to prison. The poor gypsy girl kicked and screamed as she tried to break free from the soldier's grasp.

"YOU MONSTER! YOU WILL PAY! QUASIMODO! QUASIMODO! HELP ME!" she cried desperately but it was no use, no one came to her aid.

As Frollo watched Sapphira being dragged off a sinister smile grew upon his face before he turned to go back inside the Cathedral and shut the door behind him