Chapter 3

As the words spilled from Sapphira's mouth everyone was captivated by her sweet voice. It seemed to compliment her angelic physique even more. When her song concluded there was a moment of silence before the deafening sound of applause and cheering was all that could be heard within the public square along with chanting " The Angel" and the young gypsy girl's felt so bashful by their appreciation that her cheeks turned a dark shade of pink as she curtsied. She left the stage to join her sister and their two animal companions, hers being a small Capuchin monkey named Moshi, at the bottom of the steps waiting to greet her. After receiving a loving hug from her sister and congratulations from all of their friends they disappeared behind the caravans that were parked nearby to await their next task in the festival.

It was now Clopin's turn to take the stage. He dawned his grey cloak to reveal a fool's costume and on his head he placed a hat with little bells on it. He riled up the crowd's laughter by frolicking about, making a few rude and silly gestures.

"Citizen, fellow gypsies the time has come, the moment is here for us to choose our King!" he said as he pulled a makeshift sceptre from his belt.

The crowd cheered.

"The King of the Fools! So don't forget, it's the ugliest face that wins the crown, alright so men, women come on up, come on up"

As he spoke a line started to form on stage of both men and women.

"If your face is gruesome, grotesque or just plain grizzly. Bring it up"

He frolicked about on stage as he spoke whilst the crowds cheered for the contestance as more lined up on stage.

"If your face is revolting, repulsive, lets have a look at it"

Coming to the front of the stage Clopin pulled on a cord to release a curtain with a painting of a king on it with a hole where the face should be.

"If your face is like the ass end of a donkey" he joked making the crowd laugh.

"Lets have a laugh! Men, women, the ugliest face. Will it be this one?"

He pointed towards the hole as the first contestant stepped forwards and pushed their face through.

An elderly woman with a face riddled with spots and a few missing teeth appeared, laughing as she showed off her face to the crowd.

One by one men and woman stepped up to show off their faces to the crowd in hopes of winning the honour of being crowned King of Fools. Even though it was a good laugh at seeing all the contestant's gruesome features on display nobody really seemed to be ugly enough. That is until Clopin turned around and noticed movement behind a wheel of a wagon that was left abandoned nearby.

The figure that was hiding moved his face to the left slightly to reveal a distorted eye.

"Good God" whispered Clopin in disbelief. 

With haste he made his way to the other side of the stage to get a better look at the figure.

"You man! Come here!" he called out which got the attention of a few pedestrians standing nearby but didn't seem to entice the figure to come closer.

"Now don't you wannabe famous aye?! Of course you do! Bring him up ! Bring him up!" the figure made an attempt to flee but was quickly apprehended by a group of gypsy, the figure tired to pull away but was soon taken up onto the stage.

Clopin let out a high pitch whistle before addressing the crowd.

"Citizens the contest is over!" he said as the figure was dragged behind the tarp. The crowd 'ohhed' and 'ahhed' with anticipation as to what the mysterious figure looked like.