Chapter 4

Silence fell upon the square as everyone bare witness to such an unbelievable but very sweet moment. That soon changed when Sapphira pulled away from Quasimodo and the crowds burst into a thunderous applause. Sapphira looked at Quasimodo and offered him a sweet smile before returning to her sister's side.

Clopin stepped forward.

"Ha-ha! Quasimodo we proclaim you King of the Fools! Hail Quasimodo!" he said handing the sceptre to Quasimodo before addressing the crowd.

The festivities proceeded, Quasimodo was led to a makeshift thrown which he was to be carried around the square in. As he was carried through the crowd he enjoyed the cheering and admiration he received and made that known to everyone by expressing his gratitude.

"THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I LOVE YOU!" he exclaimed.

As the parade was well on its way, Esmeralda, Sapphira and Clopin made their way off stage. The whole way down the steps Esmeralda and Clopin could not stop talking about what had occurred only moments ago.

"My little angel you have really out done yourself" said Clopin as he gave his youngest adopted daughter a sideways embrace.

"What ever do you mean Clopin?" she asked in a shy tone.

"How you fearlessly went up to him, crowned him in your sister's place and kissed him even though not a lot of pretty girls like you wouldn't even dare to think of doing" Clopin laughed as he walked off to get to the front of the parade.

The two sisters carried on walking at their own pace, they collected their animal companions as they made their way towards Notre Dame.

"He is right you know Saphie, even though I felt sorry for him I couldn't approach him but some how you were able to do it. How ever did you do it?" asked Esmeralda.

"I do not know Esme. Although his appearance is rather shocking that doesn't really reflect who he really is on the inside. When I looked into his eye I saw sadness but there was also a glimmer of a beautiful soul and I just felt he deserved some compassion" said Sapphira as she stroked Moshi as the little monkey sat on her right shoulder

"You always saw the goodness in people Saphie. That is why we all love you so much" said Esmeralda, the two sisters looked at each other with loving smiles and embraced each other.

As the parade made it to the steps Clopin approached the sisters and asked them to dance for Quasimodo. They passed Djali and Moshi to a friend once again before making their way forward and stood between the great doors of the Cathedrals. They gave the signal to the musicians to change song before, once again, danced in sync with each other. Whilst the girls were dancing Quasimodo became more entranced by Sapphira as she moved sensually to the music he could not hear. He clapped and cheered with enthusiasm and the crowd behind him followed suite. Everyone was so drawn in by the girls performance that they didn't see a shadowy figure emerge from within the Cathedral until a loud, booming voice was heard above them.

"STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!" said the figure, which turned out to be Claude Frollo.

The crowd fell into silence as they turned to look at the arch-deacon with the exception of Quasimodo who carried on cheering until he too saw Frollo and looked at his adoptive father with a fearful expression.

He climbed down from the makeshift throne and quickly made his way towards Frollo. He stopped to look at Sapphira whom tried to approach him but was held back by Esmeralda as he carried on making his way forward. He looked into the eyes of his adoptive father before removing the King of Fools crown and disappeared through the threshold.

"He can't take our King away!" said the woman in the red dress in outrage.

"He did!" said Clopin addressing the crowd.

The crowd dispersed and carry on with the rest of the festivities, disheartened to no longer have a King of Fools.