Chapter 6

The next morning Pierre awoke to the smell of food cooking, when he looked at his current surroundings he was confused at first as to where he was. He soon recalled the events of last night and this brought a smile to his face. He ventured outside to seek what was cooking, he opened the flap that was covering the threshold of the caravan and was greeted by Esmeralda, Sapphira and their two animal companions eating breakfast that consisted of scrambled eggs and cooked bread. The sight and smell of the food made Pierre's stomach rumble so loudly it caught the two women's attention.

"Oh you're awake, why don't you come and joint us, we saved some for you" said Sapphira whilst her sister dished out the last of the food before handing it to Pierre.

With food in hand he sat down between the two girls and stuffed his face like a rabid dog until there was nothing but tiny crumbs left on his plate.

"I love you, Esmeralda" he said whilst licking his fingers blissfully.

The two girls chuckled at this not taking the slightest bit of what he said seriously.

"You love my cooking" said Esmeralda whilst she fed Djali a small carrot.

"I'm serious" he replied.

Sapphira handed him a water skin.

"Djali loves me, she's been with me since she was one" said Esmeralda giving her beloved animal companion a kiss on the nose.

"I think she knows what I'm thinking" she continued.

"It's the same with Moshi and I" chuckled Sapphira giving Moshi a scratch on the belly whilst he was perched on her shoulder. He responded to this pampering with a happy screech.

"I wish I knew what you two were thinking" said Pierre as he looked between the two girls with a smile.

"We're thinking you're liking this gypsy life" said Sapphira as she played around with Moshi a little bit more.

"Can't complain. Nope I'm ready to live with you as husband and wife" Pierre said addressing Esmeralda after taking a drink of water.

Esmeralda gave him a soft smack in the chest.

"As brother and sisters if you prefer. I'm enough of a philosopher to keep everything in the proper equilibrium" Pierre continued as he got himself comfortable.

"Equal what?" asked the two sister simultaneously.

"The proper balance" he said moving his hands up and down in a juggling motion

"Oh you're a juggler?" asked Sapphira.

"No I'm sorry I don't juggle" chuckled Pierre.

"Then you must learn I'll teach you" said Esmeralda as she got up and went to retrieve something from the caravan.

"But I don't want to" moaned Pierre as he watched Esmeralda.

"Look, if you're going to be my husband you're going to need a trade" said Esmeralda authoritatively.

"I have a trade I'm an orator" replied Pierre with a defiant tone.

"You'll be a juggler, watch it's very easy" said Esmeralda in a tone that indicated that her word was final. she then proceeded to walk towards some open space and with three balls she demonstrated juggling without a single flaw.

"But I could never do that" scoffed Pierre as Esmeralda concluded her demonstration.

"Yes you can, come here try it" said Esmeralda encouragingly whilst holding out the three balls towards Pierre. With no more will power to convince Esmeralda he got up on his feet and made his way towards her.

"Two balls on this hand, one ball on this hand. All you have to do is throw and catch. Throw and catch and keep your elbows close to your body, here" she said as she moved behind Pierre and gently took a hold of his elbows to guided him as he gave juggling a try. For a moment he was doing fine and then he dropped a ball.

"Oh it's no use I'm not a juggler. I don't even want to be a juggler" he said frustratingly.

When the couple looked towards each other they paused for a moment until Esmeralda leaned forward and planted a kiss on Pierre's lips catching him completely off guard.

"Why did you do that?" he asked softly.

"Because I wanted to. Keep practising" said Esmeralda as she held up one of the balls to Pierre.

Sapphira watched what was unfolding between her sister and her new brother and couldn't help but feel the slightest bit of envy. She was happy that her sister found someone to love and he in return but also saddened at the fact that she hasn't found her other half just yet and hoped someday soon that she would. Until then she would be content of what she had and to reassure he Moshi nuzzled against her cheek and it earned him a belly rub and a kiss.