Chapter Twenty-Five {Story}

Henry was avoiding me. It took me a little while to realize it. At first, it was just little things, one-liner answers back to my texts, canceling our study date, saying he couldn't meet with me at lunch.

But then as the day ended and I got dressed after practice I tried to call him, it wasn't the first time I'd tried to ring him. He normally answered on the second ring. But this time he didn't answer at all. And that made my stomach start to feel sick.

Why was he avoiding me?

I didn't get to think about it too much because before I knew it dad was pulling me into his office and locking the door behind us.

I was lucky my locker was painted before the kids got out of their second-class today. But every teacher had seen it and nearly every kid. And what kid didn't see it got to see it on someone's phone in picture form. That picture made its way onto social media and into a facebook group that had most of us students in it. Everyone was trying to play FBI and figure out if it was A: True. And B: Who done did it.

I didn't want A to be answered, but I needed to know B.

"Matthew, what's going on?" My dad asked, his two hands slamming down on the desktop to get my attention.

I shrugged, sinking down into the couch. "I don't know."

"First you tell me you're not looking girl. Then someone vandalizes your locker with homophobic slurs. Matthew. If there is anything you need to tell me. Just tell me."

"Dad, really. I don't know anything. It's just some bully."

"And why do you have a target on your back Matthew? Is it because of your mother and me? Do you want to transfer schools? I know it's going to be hard with the timing but if it makes things eas-"

"Dad seriously. Nothing is going on. I've never even been in a fight. I have no idea why someone would do that. Maybe they got the wrong locker."

"Are you sure Matthew."

"Yes, I'm sure."

Dad sighed, sitting in his desk chair, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Can I tell you a story, Matt?"

"Uh. Sure?"

"There was a day back when you were in grade three, back before cell phones and all of that. It was the middle of winter and you and Henry were downstairs watching movies in what is now your bedroom. A Bug's Life, or something like that. Your mother was going to go down and give your hot chocolate. But she was pregnant at the time and was told to stay on bed rest so I made her go lay down. So I brought you both down your hot chocolate. But before I let it be known that I was there, I peeked in and watched you both for a moment. Do you know what I saw?"

I gulped. "What?"

"I saw you laying with your head in Henry's lap while Henry played with your hair. Totally innocent. But it was from that day on that I had noticed that you two sat like that. A lot. And I thought no different of you Matthew. And I never will. Just like I've told you before. Now. Do you have anything to tell me?"

I looked at dad, a little shocked and taken aback. I could remember using Henry as a pillow growing up. He was just something that was so comforting to me. Back then, I never saw anything that was wrong with it. He was my best friend. But looking back on it now, maybe there was a little bit more to it. Maybe there was always a little tingle in my chest when he would run his hands in my hair.

"No, dad. I've got nothing to tell you." I said, getting up quickly and going to the door, unlocking before bolting into the hallway.

That heaviness was back in my chest, but I kept breathing as I hurried in the parking lot and into my car. Once I was safe in my space, I pulled out my phone and was disappointed to see no new texts from anyone. But most importantly. Henry.

I clicked on his contact and called his number, biting on my lip as I waited to hear his voice answer.

But he didn't. I was met with a dial tone so after the third ring. A simple message "Hey You've reached Henry. Leave a message."

"Hey. Henry. It's Matt, uh. Call me back yeah? I'll um. I'll talk to you later. Bye."

I slumped back, my head hitting the seat as I let out a deep breath.

I couldn't understand. Why wasn't he talking to me? I didn't want to bother him too much though, so I gave him his space and decided I would go for a drive to clear my head. I didn't drive far though. I was to Bannerhue park and parked my car in the lot before getting out and walking the trail.

I didn't take walks often. But I came here to jog a lot during the offseason between hockey and baseball.

But I needed to go somewhere and clear my head. So the park seemed like the best idea. I walked along the broken path of gravel, twigs, and some bigger than normal rocks. The only regret I was having in this very moment was the fact I forgot to bring earplugs. But maybe it was for the best. I could hear the sounds of people walking, cars driving. The odd horn here and there. It was almost soothing.

Who in the school would know anything about Henry and me? The more I thought about it the more I had to examine my mind's eye in who else was around us when we did.. Well anything. And the only thing I could think of was when Henry and I kissed goodbye in his car we were closer to the road then we should have been. Someone outside for a walk, or driving slow in there car could have easily seen us.

But who, out of all the people who would be out to get me lived close enough to the school that they would be walking around in on the weekends.

I stopped dead in my tracks. The colour draining from my face, my heart landing in my stomach.

The only person I knew that lived close enough to the school, who I had contact within the last 48 hours.

Joey Tents.