Chapter 1: In Search For Love

Mănăstirea Cârţa
(Cârţa Monastery, Romania)

The bell tolls...

"All right sisters, it is time for our daily rosary prayers . Sister Sophia, would you please do the honors?" The Head Nun said. A cheerful-looking nun approaches the Head Nun, "Of course Sister Catherine. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit..." she started. This is Sophia Corazon, a new, cheerful-spirited nun here in the Cârţa Monastery who was placed here by her mother along with her sister Elaine. Sister Catherine, the Head Nun, is very fond of the new nun and always lets her lead the daily rosary.

An hour later and it was lights out. "All right sisters, it will be a new day tomorrow. Sleep well." Sister Catherine said. All the nuns falls asleep, except for 2 of the nuns: Elaine and Sophia. Elaine approaches Sophia and whispers,

"Psst! Sister! Trouble sleeping?"

"Yes. I cannot even close my eyes for a few seconds."

"Let us go outside and have some fun. Maybe it will tire us out."

"Sure, that's a great idea."

They both sneak out of the rooms carefully to not wake any of the nuns and went outside the Monastery. There is a garden behind the Monastery where Elaine and Sophia would hang out in their spare time. Elaine then goes to a bush full of prickly thorns and picks up two worn-out wooden swords. She threw one towards Sophia and they started playing with the swords. Their father taught them how to use the sword in case someone tries to do something funny. But their mother was against this idea and instead sent them to the Monastery to pursue the role of being a nun. Despite this, they still practiced swordplay and eventually became professionals.

"Hey Sophie, what do you think we can be if mom did not send us here?"

"Me? I just want to marry someone, have kids, and live in a quiet place." She breaks a sweat.

Elaine barely parries the attack, "Cliche. But that sounds cool. I want to be a soldier."

Sophia returns an attack, "A soldier? Really?"

"I mean we are pretty much unbeatable with our swords. Why refrain from putting our skills into good use?" She panted.

"True but it is a shame that mother put us in here." She parries swiftly.

"Indeed. I wish dad was still alive." She strikes.

She loses her grip and was disarmed, "Me too."

Elaine helps her up and they continued playing. Sophia stopped for a bit and wiped her sweat away. She then looks up to the shining moon,

"The moon looks beautiful tonight"

"Yeah, it does." Elaine looks up as well.

Then the emanating scent of roses filled the garden,

"I love this place." Sophia said.

"Hey, I am getting drowsy, do you want to go to our quarters?" Elaine yawned.

"You go on ahead. I want to stay here a little longer." Sophia replied.

Elaine drowsily said good night and went ahead. Sophia sat down under the bright moonlight. She lies down on the soft grass enjoying the sight of the bright moon and the scent of sweet garden roses. "I wish I could sleep here." She told herself. The cold evening breeze caresses her face making her a little drowsy.

The beautiful moment was short lived when Sophia felt a presence in the area. "Umm, Hello?" She calls. No one answers. She hurriedly gets up and runs towards the large Monastery doors.