"I very much doubt you're going to get there, on that thing." he mumbled. "Not with a puncture that size, were you going for anything important?"

"Yeah." I pointed at the front basket. "I am supposed to deliver these in -" I broke off, checking the time on my watch, almost having a mini heart attack in the process. "Thirty minutes, so looks like I'm going to be very late."

"Unless you hold the world record for speed walking, I sadly believe you will be."

"I'm going to be in deep trouble." I sighed. The thought of explaining the whole sorry situation to Poppy wasn't a pleasant one and the outcome likely even bleaker.

"Look, I know we've literally just met - by the way it's nice to meet you - but maybe I could help out?" he said. "My bikes over there and I can get to Hillside in ten minutes tops."

I must have looked confused because he had to repeat bike again for me, grandly gesturing past the seawall to our right. Besides the narrow road was an old shopper bicycle, all black with chrome spokes and a large wire rack on the back. It reminded me of the bikes myself and Poppy used to ride around the garden on, presents from our Grandparents so many years ago.

When the penny had dropped he said, quietly. "Got it a couple of years back for my eighteenth, it's a classic older model but still rides like a dream."

"It's nice." I agreed, less enthusiastically than I am sure he had hoped. I was jealous at how cool it looked in comparison to my own pink monstrosity.

"You're lucky, I had just made a quick pit stop when I saw you soar across the boardwalk."

"Thank you."

"No worries, anyways so I was thinking that if it helps you out, I could take whatever needs to be delivered and save you getting in 'deep trouble'." he said mimicking my voice for the last part, capturing my melodramatic delivery perfectly.

"Oh no, really you don't have to do that for me, sure I'll figure something out." I objected.

"I can be trusted, promise." he said, eyes wide.

"But... I don't even know you or your name." I couldn't have sounded anymore rude if I'd tried.

Thankfully he took it in good spirit, offering out his hand. "Hi, I'm Noah." He shook my left hand and it felt warm and soft. "I go to church every week and we both live in the same, crappy town."

"Uh okay." I noted, my mind repeating his name. Noah. I liked it. No-ah.

"I'm telling you this so you know that I'm a man of my word or God." he began. "-because I go to Church, you have my name so I'm no longer a stranger and you also now know where I live, so you can hunt me down if anything goes wrong."

I really liked the way he talked. I wished I could smile so genuinely, with warmth like him.

Our hands still clasped I took a deep breath and tried out genuine, and friendliness and courtesy. "I'm Scarlett and I don't go to church."

"Good to know Scarlett."

"Do you really think you could get this stuff there in time?" I asked hesitantly, still not believing it to be possible, surely he was just being kind?

"Of course - if I peddle like lightening but first I need to ask: I'm not transporting anything illegal am I?" his voice was serious. "They check you at the border into Hillside and I can't have anymore strikes against me."

"What, they do?" I whispered. "Strikes, why?"

"I'm joking." Noah looked at me as if I was crazy because of course he was just messing with me. "I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt because I still think you might have bumped your head but boy, are you tough to crack."

"Sorry, I just can't think straight right now." I confessed, masking the real truth: that I fallen for his deadpan delivery.

"If you can give me some idea of where I'm taking this ridiculously important package to, I can get going and let you get on with your day."

I fished out the creased paper directions and handed them over. Quickly he studied it and stuffed them into his inside shirt pocket. "I know where that shop is, it's not far from where I was heading to." Noah flashed another smile. "Got to get dinner from the farmers market."

"I really appreciate what you're doing for me."

"No problem, just make sure you get that thing fixed." he pointed to the limp tire.

Walking back towards the bicycle, Noah gave me a thumbs up and another memorable grin. Carefully he loaded the box of cards onto the back wired rack and tightly strapped it with cords he'd retrieved from a backpack he must have left in a rush to help.

"Thank you!" I called out, watching him hop on, the breeze sweeping his blonde locks out in every direction.

It took a while for everything to sink in, even after he'd cycled off and disappeared into the sunlight towards the next stretch of road.

Of course I was happy and relieved that I wouldn't be arriving back with my tail between my legs, afraid of confessing to Poppy that I had failed a simple task but I was also feeling oddly disappointed.

My encounter with the charming and kind Noah was now past and nothing but a short memory. One that was likely not to be repeated and I couldn't quite forget that even after the long walk back.

I thought again about his charming smile and I liked it.

A smile.

The first thing I had liked since I'd arrived, the only thing that stuck in my memory and made me feel something other than despair and relentless doubt.

I hoped that my nightly wishes, for waves to crash over the town would stay unanswered.

Because I really didn't want to wash away a smile that grand.