summer of '85 pt. 2

john and sherlock had a good standing relationship. they wrote letters to each other and had occasional phone call and they did spend thanksgiving at the macy's parade, but spent chirstmas and new years at home which was a mistake. they both decided on leaving and spending new years in washington dc, which was their best decision. while in dc, john went to the recruiters office and signed up, with the encouragement from sherlock. he dropped out of the next semester at his university, cleared out his dorm then stayed with sherlock until he had to leave from basic.

john called his mother the following day and told her the news and got some tears, but then got his mother's full support and he was happy about that.

after basic, john had nine days to visit family. the first two he spent going back to page to visit him mom, but the second he stepped foot into the town everyone knew and was revolted by him being there. he was chased out before he could see his mom and he was devastated. he went to cambridge and spent the last of his days with sherlock before he was sent to missouri. he was in missouri for five months before being sent to san antonio. he was in san antonio for a year before getting the news that he was being sent overseas. to afghanistan. at that point he wished he didn't enlist and that he just wanted to see sherlock.

afghanistan lasted a year and a half. he always kept in touch with his mom and sherlock but it took a while for letters to get back and forth and john always got an hour of call time once a month and he split it between sherlock and his mom. sometimes john received pictures of sherlock in his letters and john kept a small box of them. he also asked him mom to send a few of him and sherlock and she sent more than a few, but john didn't care. there was one of him and his mom that john kept on him in field along with the most recent one sherlock had sent of him.

when john left afghanistan he was sent to a base in massachusetts. two hours away from cambridge and john couldn't have been happier. before he had left, he sent a letter to his mom and not sherlock. sherlock would get his letter in person and john couldn't be more excited. he would get to see his boyfriend after three years. he would be able to hold sherlock and kiss him and talk to him in person and he was excited.

after four days of being at the base, they gave john fourteen days to visit family. john took a train to cambridge, getting in late and running to sherlock's addresses where the letters were sent from. john knocked on the door and saw the lights turn off from inside and he stopped. he rested his forehead on the door and sighed. "it's me, sherlock." he said. "it's john."

the locked clicked on the door and then it opened slowly. sherlock's eyes peeked through the crack before he swung the door open and flung himself onto john.

fifteen years later, sherlock was one of the best lawyers in the dc area and john was head is security at the white house. john stood around the white house for ten hours a day before going home to his family. him and sherlock adopted a little girl a year ago who was now four and they now have a baby boy.

"daddy!" the small girl squealed as john walked through the front door.

john chuckled and picked up the girl, kissing her cheek before setting her on the ground. "where's papa?" he asked.

"making dinner." his daughter said, giggling some.

"and where's alex?" he asked.

"sleeping." she said in a whisper.

john chuckled and picked his daughter up, carrying her into the kitchen. he set her at the table in her chair then walked into the kitchen, going to sherlock and giving him a kiss. "smells good." he said.

sherlock smiled. "we have a guest tonight." he said as he added some seasoning to the dinner.

"who?" john asked as he grabbed the plates from the cupboard.