Chapter One: Mariposa

Vanity's Point Of View

It was dark and gloomy outside, the only light was from the rusty street lamps which often or not were flickering. The window was steaming from the difference in temperature between outside and inside the bar. This town was far from gone. Almost no one worked nights. It was so dangerous, but I had to. My mother depended on me.

     I closed up the bar after cleaning everything. I was exhausted and starving as I made my journey home. Closing the bar and hugging my coat to my body as the rain fell above my head. I wanted to just get home, change and rest. Until waking up early to go back.

    As I was walking home I began to hear heavy foot steps behind me from afar. I turn causally to see no one so I continued walking brushing it off. Only then for them to seem closer. I turn once more seeing three large men walking towards me, in ones hand a knife. I began running for my life terrified one of the gangs thought I was a rival gang member.

   I wasn't fast enough. They caught up to me. I thrashed in their arms. Attempting to scream as my jacket began to be unbuttoned. All attempts to get help were futile as my mouth was covered and my arms now restrained by tape. Tears gushed from my eyes.

  The more I struggled the more rough they became, eventually leading to me being hit repetitively. I shut them trying to forget what was going on. I gave up as they had their way. My tears and the rain mixing against my hot cheeks, unable to notice the difference in just a mere glance. As soon as I felt their hands tearing away my clothing, it stopped. All I heard was a struggle before silence.

   My eyes still shut, quite sobs leaving my mouth. My life was nothing and I realized it in that exact moment. Nearby I could hear men speaking in spanish, but I was to focused on my panic attack to understand what was happening. My breath cut short as I heard footsteps approach me.

   "Estás bien."  He stopped before continuing. "No one will hurt you they're dead."

     My breath hitches as soon as that word is said. dead. I couldn't believe they murdered them, sure what they were planning to do was vile but death?

  "Open your eyes, we won't hurt you."

I did as I was told and batted open my eyes. In front of me we're three more men, the light was behind them causing a shadow to cast over their faces. Unable to stop myself from shaking one stepped closer allowing me to see fine details of his face.

Ace. Ace Hex.

I wanted to scream out for help but my voice was caught in my throat. As if I was being suffocated by the rain that had now drenched me.

   "Shh it's fine mariposa, we won't hurt you. We don't hurt the innocent." He said as he kneeled besides me and pulled out a pocket blade. I scooted farther as I shook my head in fear.

   "I'm just taking the tape of your wrists." He explained as he did just that. "What's your name?"

   "V-Vanity, Vanity Chambers." I stuttered out quietly. To say I was timid at this moment was an understatement.

   "Beautiful name." His accent was heavy, I was half spanish but not even my family spoke with such an accent.

I stood slowly and closed my jacket which has a big tear. I frowned knowing i'd be unable to afford a new one. I looked back now able to see the others. A man who looked exactly like Ace and another who was plastered in tattoos. I looked back at Ace finally mustering up the courage to speak properly.

"I have to get going but thank you for saving me." I stated before scurrying off, leaving them behind, turning around I watched as the darkness consumed them.

____

I walked through the doors of my apartment. My childhood home was long gone. My father had split taking along my younger sister and left my mother and I to fend for ourselves. Soon after we lost the house and my mom became ill.

"Mom?" I called out as I locked the door taking off my torn coat and shoes as I walked to the only room in the house. I tended to sleep on the couch.

"I'm here my love." She responded as I entered she was laid still on the bed small coughs escaping her mouth. "How was work?"

"Alright, did Martin treat you well?" I certainly couldn't tell her know what had just happened moments ago.

Martin was our landlord. While I was away he tended to my mother. Since they were little he had grown to like her. Now they were inseparable. Although, my mother being the stubborn women she is refused to ever try because she didn't want to burden him into dating a sickly woman.

"Of course, he went out today while I was napping and came back with my favorite soup." I grinned at her reply. They would be adorable together.

"Sounds fantastic, I hope you enjoyed it."

"I did, but honey you seem exhausted why don't you clean up and get some rest we can talk tomorrow." I nodded in agreement as I kissed her forehead and made sure to see that her blanket fully covered her.

"Goodnight Mom."

"Goodnight my darling Vani."

With that I left the room and was off to the kitchen. My mother was bedridden so I only bought the foods she enjoyed. I entered the kitchen grabbing a glass of orange juice and a slice of bread. It was all I could have to ensure my mother would have proper food.

I ate my food before showering, changing and looking into the mirror. It was a good thing my moms eyesight wasn't in fine condition because she would have noticed the few bruises and scrapes that covered my body from tonight's events.

I quickly was off to bed, laying on the couch clingy to comforter, I sighed, thinking.

"The devil himself had saved me tonight."