41 - The Truth II

Start from the beginning

Connor looks irritated first but seeing Lyall shrug he grins. "Of course, come on, let the adults have their boring conversation and I show you where we have fun." The way he puts this let my eyes flash up. I reach out to hold his neck, dragging his ear close to my mouth I whisper so silently that only he will hear it, "If you do or say something inappropriate while Nora is with you, I will make you regret every single moment in your life."

He pales at the obvious threat, but then I release his neck and Naveena also comes to stand next to Connor and Nora. "I want to join!", she smiles at Nora and I can see Nora completely fascinated of her. Lyall nods to Naveena and the three of them leave to the other clearing. I can't help but keep looking after them for another moment. She shouldn't be here. I have a bad feeling about that.

I can feel Celeste running her hand along my back from one shoulder to the next and coming to stand in front of me with her hands at my neck. "Now, daddy, when did you get so soft?", she asks smugly and I get rid of her hands. "Don't call me like that."

"Fine. Then tell me - Ethan, the butcher - why did you lie to me? She seems to know you very well.", she crosses her arms in front of her chest. I roll my eyes. "Do you really think it is good for her to announce me as her father?", I ask instead. She smirks. "I think, you owe me something for not being honest and as far as I can see you have no money anymore. I guess you can only sell your body now. How about a kiss?", she licks her lower lips. 

With a fast movement, I have her throat in my custody and run my nose along her jawline. Lyall is just about to step in as he realizes her reaction. She laughs out amused. "I'm so glad to see that you didn't lose your temper, my dear." Her hands once more running through my hair. "They didn't manage to break you, hm?" 

"Don't test me, Celeste.", I snarl and let go of her again. She still smiles. "Oh Ethan, we both know that you need me for our little daughter. You will play your role as the father that can't come home. She obviously needs you, too."

"Me?", my eyes flash up once more. "It's not that I told her that you only do that out of pity. Why did you reveal yourself to her if you didn't want that she remembers at all."

"I was weak.", I stare into her eyes and I can see that I got her off guard. I sigh and Lyall lays down a hand on my shoulder. I twitch at the sudden touch but drag away my shoulder. "I think both of you need to hear what I have to say, but Celeste..." I stop for a moment and she wears that false smile I hate so much. "If you tell this story to anybody else and I find out, you won't be able to tell any kind of story anymore at all."

This time she rolls her eyes. "Oh darling, if I would have gotten a penny every time I heard you saying that I would be a far richer woman now." I nod seriously. "Lyall, you asked me if I really did what they accused me of. Well, it is a bit more complicated than that."

"I figured, but you really think I will believe you just because some time passed by?", his tone getting colder with every word. "That's up to you."

"If there is one thing I learned about this handsome guy here, it's that you should listen when he finally tells something.", Celeste interrupts once again and she then suggests to get to sit down somewhere more ... silent. 

Her way to ask for some privacy, but I already know that even in the main cave, privacy is nearly not existent. As all three of us sit down at the table where I also had my first conversation with Lyall I frown at the upcoming memories. It's not easy to tell that now, but I weighed in my options and Lyall knowing what is about to come gives us the best chance to survive.

"It is true, that I'm a brute and a monster. I don't deny that I killed that maid, but I never enslaved her or forced her to stay with me in any kind. It is also true that I hurt her, but in fact, she was the strongest person I've ever met.", I eye Celeste as she narrows her eyes at me. "I don't know about her past, but the way her life ended, I'm sure I didn't lie to Nora when I told her that she is back in heaven."