Chapter 16: Numbers Game

Amelia

I'm officially in the middle of my sixth week of pregnancy and let me tell you, it's been a crazy whirlwind of emotions.

I've downloaded an app on my phone and it says the baby is about the size of a sweet pea, but by next week they'll have doubled in size. I can't believe I'm already halfway through the first trimester. It still doesn't feel real to me, and I don't think it will fully sink in until we actually see the baby on the screen and hear their little heartbeat.

Fortunately, we won't have to wait much longer now. It's Wednesday afternoon, Sam and I both just got off work and we're going to get our first ultrasound in less than an hour.

"God, you can hardly see anything," I murmur, trying to peer through the curtain of rain that's consistently pelting against the windshield.

"Be glad you're not the one driving," Sam replies, still looking calm and collected behind the steering wheel, his right arm draped over the armrest.

We've done this so many times now, I feel like if it weren't raining like a mother, I could drive to the fertility clinic blindfolded. It won't be long though, a few more weeks and we'll be graduating to my regular ob-gyn back home.

It's a bittersweet feeling. It'll be nice not to drive so far every time we have an appointment, but at the same time I can't help but think about Dr. Cho and how hard it'll be to say goodbye to him. I'm going to miss him. He's been with us through a lot.

But today, we've only got one thing on our minds. We get to see our baby for the first time. Is there one baby growing inside of me or are we having quadruplets like we've been joking about? We'll get to find that out in any case. I'm so excited, it almost makes the nausea I've been feeling all day bearable.

The nausea... God, I can't wait for that to be over. It's been so bad, and it just keeps getting worse. I've heard some women barely have it, and I was hopeful I'd be one of them, but if it weren't for my job I would've probably spent the last week in bed.

And it's not just in the mornings, contrary to what they want you to believe. It's all the time. It's really a shame we live above a diner and the smell of grease is constant whenever we go down the stairs to the parking lot.

"I don't think we're having twins. I'll be surprised if we are. There's just no way. I shouldn't have lost weight this week if we're having two babies," I say.

He just shrugs and grins. I don't think he's ready to make a guess one way or another.

"But I think whatever happens, it'll definitely feel a lot more real after today," I tell him.

"It seemed pretty real this morning, and yesterday when I was cooking dinner," he points out with a mischievous smile. I blush. He's not wrong.

I suppose the weight loss doesn't really mean anything. The morning sickness probably has a role to play in why I've lost a pound. I haven't been eating much of anything. It's something I'll have to mention to Dr. Cho.

"Are you still feeling sick?" he asks.

"Yeah, the driving hasn't been helping," I admit.

There's a new symptom too that's come up since my sister's wedding. My nipples hurt like a son of a nice lady. Even my favorite bra feels so damn uncomfortable!

"Have my boobs gotten bigger?" I wonder suddenly.

"Oh yeah," he answers without skipping a beat and I start to laugh.