Prologue: Backstory

i am 100% aware that none of the following events are realistic and legal at all. i wrote this when i was 11 (my 14-year-old self coming back to edit lmao) and i knew nothing at that time.

She felt too weak to wipe her tears and the snot running down her face as she put her newborn child in a basket with milk and a note.

"I'm sorry," the woman, barely an adult, whispered. "I'll regret this, but I don't have the money to take care of you and raise you successfully and I don't know what to do," she sobbed.

Putting on her shoes, she walked with the basket to the park and set the basket on the bench, cradling her baby in her hands.

As she trudged away, head dipped in sorrow, she whispered to herself, "It's for the best," over and over again. Each step was painful and forced. She wanted to go back and raise this baby as her own, and every cell in her body screamed to turn around to raise her. But she couldn't.

As she got home, she slumped onto her bed in defeat, thinking that her life would never be better. She tried to forget about the child, tried to block all thoughts out, but the voice inside her mind was yelling at her to go get the baby back. She argued with herself to the point of exhaustion, until her mind became blurred and her throat grew thick with tears.

Her dreams were haunted by a pair of hands, painted with purple nails, holding her baby, her child.

The woman jerked awake. She had to get that baby back. The dream had told her that, right? It had provoked something in her, an instinct she could only describe as motherly, a sign that her child would be in the hands of danger if she didn't pick up her child.

It was the middle of the night as she ran to the park, hopelessly praying that the child was still there and safe, too. As she got to the bench, she saw a basket, her body deflating in relief.

As she approached the basket, she looked inside, and horror hit her like an 18-wheeler, goosebumps rising on her skin, and she felt cold, too cold.

Someone had taken her!

Shaking, she collapsed onto her knees and prayed the baby was safe and well. Her thoughts were jumbled and full of guilt. She sobbed long and hard until she was to tired to sob, passing out on the bench.