Chapter 17: Daring to Hope

Amarië awoke the next morning and glanced around her room for Finrod, but he was absent. Sitting up, she saw the sunlight shining in through a shaft cut into the rock roof and realized it was late morning. Looking around her once more, she saw his side of the bed was made neat and tidy. He must have left without wishing to rouse her. 

She had no grudge against him, but she had wished to speak to him about the strange feeling she had had before she had fallen asleep the night before and she doubted she would have a chance to have him alone that day. 

Rising, she dressed and straightened the bed clothes and she left the room. 

After breaking her fast, she returned to her room and began to compose a letter to Lady Galadriel. Amarië did not know when she would receive the letter, but perhaps the Lady would understand what was happening to her better than Finrod would. It was a big if, but one she was willing to find out. A faint thought crossed her mind, but she pushed it away. She did not want to have her hopes up only to discover she was wrong. 

Several days later, Lady Galadriel arrived at Nargothrond around noon and knocked gently on the open door to Finrod's study room of sorts

Without glancing up, he called out, "Enter."

She entered and sat down, waiting for her brother to finish signing the parchment on his desk. 

Then he looked up and exclaimed, "Sister! 'Tis good to see you again! What brings you to Nargothrond?"

"'Tis good to see you again, Brother, also. I came because Amarië sent me a curious letter a few weeks ago and I decided to come instead of answering it."

"She sent you a letter? She never spoke to me about it. Is everything alright?"

"I have every reason to believe so, but I wish to speak to her about it in person."

"I don't believe I ever told you this," Finrod said gravely, "but shortly before we were married, Amarië had one of those dreams again. I saw what she saw, heard what she also heard--it was terrible, aye--but Morgoth saw us both and said that he would do his utmost to ruin our every happiness. I was afraid he meant somehow killing her before our wedding day, but he did not, and I nearly forgotten about it. She has had peaceful sleep and almost no pain since that awful night, but I am wondering... Could that letter she sent have something to do with it coming back?"

Galadriel pursed her lips in thought. "I do not believe so. Let us hope not, in any case. But all the same, this period of relative peace will not last long. I fear for what will happen when it ends. For now, enjoy the time you have. Who knows how much longer it will be." She smiled. "I do not think Amarië is in any danger from Morgoth, but I will have to speak to her to know more. Good day, Brother." She rose and left the room, walking down the corridors to Amarië's chamber, nodding in acknowledgement to those who smiled at her on her way. 

Lady Galadriel knocked and then entered the room, closing the door behind her. 

Amarië glanced behind her shoulder and laid aside her embroidery work. "You came! I had hoped you would, but I did not ask in the letter because I did not want to put an obligation on you that you could not fulfill."

They embraced and Galadriel kissed the slight elf on both cheeks. "I thought about answering your letter and then coming, but then Celeborn, my husband, said that the letter would only delay my coming and t'would be best if I came instead." 

They sat down and Galadriel asked, "Was that the first time you had that feeling?" 

"Aye, but it is happening more often and usually a feeling of slight nauseousness accompanies it. I don't understand."

"Do you think you know what it is?"

"I have notions, true, but I'm afraid to hope. I was certain that I would never--" she paused momentarily, and then hurried on, --"because of those poisons."

"But yet you have been without pain these eight years?"

"True enough."

"Is it not possible, then, that it could be?" Galadriel looked at her, a smile playing on her lips. 

"Do you think so?" Amarië glanced up at her, her mouth closed and a dare of hope in her eyes. 

"I believe so, but only the coming months will tell. I have guessed you have not told Finrod of this since he seemed to be surprised when I told him that you had sent me a letter."

"I have not, that is true. I did not want him to hope and then have it all come to nothing."

"A wise choice," Lady Galadriel rose. "I will be staying here for the next several months. Celeborn and those in Menegroth can spare me the time. And besides, I did promise you and Finrod that I would come visit you after you were wedded. 'Tis high time I kept that promise."

"We would be honored to have you," Amarië rose also and smiled. 

"I wish you to do one thing for me," Galadriel continued. 

"What is it?" the other woman asked, intrigued. 

"Tell Finrod. He deserves to know."

"But what if it comes to naught? He will be so disappointed. I have seen the look of sadness on his face sometimes and I feel as though I have failed him. If it is true, then I will not have failed him. But if it comes to naught..." she did not finish. 

"Amarië, just tell him. He will be hurt no more than you--and you have not failed him. He knew the truth before he married you and he loved you still. Promise me you will tell him."

She looked down. Could she handle the hurt and disappointment if it came to nothing? She supposed she would have no choice; neither would he. "I promise." 

How are you liking it so far? Let me know in the comments! I'm going to attempt to finish this book by the end of the month, but we'll see. XD 

And don't keep your hopes up. You'll possibly need tissues before this story is done... *runs off and hides from vengeful readers*

~ Gwynnedd