Chapter 11: A Reunion

The sun shone hazily through the green leaves of the trees, falling through and sparkling upon the flashing blue waters of the stream. Birds twittered high above, the musical sound broken only by the gentle breeze that blew every now and then, all forming a background to the fervent conversation happening between two of Ilúvatar's Firstborn. It was difficult, trying to cover the past several years into brief paragraphs. Finrod Felagund spoke first, telling all that had happened since they had last been together back in Valinor.

"And so, I believe that covers all of it. Now, Amarië, nin emel, I would wish to hear your tale, of how you have changed, of how you came to Middle-earth," his tone was an encouraging one, and Elthríel--now Amarië--smiled. 

"'Tis a long tale in the telling."

"And I have all the time in the world to listen. Please, speak. Unless, of course, it is too painful for you now," he added hastily. 

"Nay, not too painful to speak of to you. We both have been through the scourges of Morgoth and survived, if both of us are scathed. I do not mind telling it to you," her voice trailed off as she watched him. He smiled and she continued, "But it is a long tale, so I best begin. 

"Soon after you bid me farewell beneath the trees near my family's home, I was left in shock. I could not believe what was happening. When I regained my wits, I ran to my brother, Hílthklen, and told him I could not bear for you to leave. I was in a fanatic state, crying and gasping... Even now, I remember it only as a panicked blur. He grabbed me with both hands and commanded me, gently, firmly, to calm down. Then he said we would follow you. 

"I obeyed his instructions and ran to my room, packing as few as my belongings as I could, before meeting up with him by the trees. He told me that we must change our names for the present, he would be Daelthron and I would be Elthríel. It was so we wouldn't be found out as easily. Then we set off in the direction your people had come. 

"We caught up with them at last, following behind in the vary back and slowly mingling with the crowd. 

"When we crossed the Helecarxë..." her voice stopped abruptly and Amarië stared off into the distance for quite some time, her face ashen grey, before she continued several minutes later. "Somehow, my brother and I were separated. He managed to stay--more or less--with your company, but I was lost out on the ice...

"I do not know how long I wandered. It seemed like forever, groping in an icy dark, trying to ignore the hunger pains and overwhelming sense of abandonment." She shuddered. "Then I found myself on the shores of Middle-earth. It was dark and cold, like it is in winter, but the ground was solid underfoot, and not icy. I was not allowed to rest long.

"In a short while, I was found by a band of orcs who were searching for all stragglers who had managed to arrive in Middle-earth alone. They captured me, along with many, many others, and brought me to the dungeons of Morgoth.

"We were brought before the fallen Vala's presence, where he 'judged' us. Most of them he simply waved his hand over and they were sent immediately to the dungeons. The rest of us, he kept for closer inspection. 

"He questioned us all, some more, some less. It was terrifying. At any moment, we all expected him to suddenly destroy us, and a few he did. He sent many to be tortured as he believed they had information regarding movements and plans from the other Elves. The rest, he toyed with, as a cat does a mouse. I was the last he spoke to and there were no reassuring faces to encourage me, unlike the rest.

"He growled at me and sought every sort of information he could get about you. But I was honest and could tell him nothing as we had not seen each other since in Valinor, before your company left. Yet he did not believe me, and sent me to a separate chamber. 

"It was cold and dark, so dark you could nearly feel it. I could always hear a steady drip...drip... of water from a leak somewhere in the room. Other than that, it was silent. Whenever the guards would open the door to bring in food or water, the silence was filled with noise--a hideous, frightful noise: screaming, endless screaming. It was awful." 

Finrod laid his hand gently on her shoulder and she realized she was shaking. Amarië looked up at him gratefully. Then she went on. 

"It wasn't long before I realized that the 'food' and 'water' were poisoned. I have no idea what sort of poison it was, perhaps something of his creation. My hair darkened and my strength left me. I felt weak, even to the point that rising to my feet tired me and I would fall down and sleep for hours to regain strength. I began to have nightmeres, horrid dreams that never ended.

"Then, for I have no idea how much time had passed, I was led out and forced to work alongside those other Elves that still remained alive. We were forced to work beneath the ground. It was hot from forge fires and full of dark shadows, red light, screaming, and fear. Orcs patrolled, whipping us if we did not work fast enough. Sometimes, they would take us elsewhere, and beat us and torture us for nothing except their twisted whims." She brushed a strand of wispy dark hair behind her ear.

"A tiny remnant of us began to speak of escape. I have no memory of how we succeeded. All I remember is that about twenty of us managed to escape out of the gates and run south. We ran, faster than I even believed possible. I do not know if any of us besides myself survived. Elbereth protected me, that I know, for when I would become weary, she would whisper in my ear to keep on going. Then I found myself in this forest where I was found by Elves going on a midsummer ride. 

"I was brought to Menegroth where your sister nursed me, along with many others, back to life. Daelthron, or should I say Hílthklen, traveled down to the Caves and saw me there. He was moved to tears, for he had supposed me dead. He brought me back with him to Nargothrond and here I have been ever since. Morgoth's power over me has lessened, but not fully dissipated. I still have those nightmeres. And I do not know if I shall ever be free of them."

Silence followed and Amarië rose to her feet, walking to the edge of the brook and staring down into it. She was awaiting Finrod's answer to all she had said. This was the first time she had ever spoken of all that she had gone through. Not even to her brother had she breathed a hint of all that she had endured. 

Suddenly, she felt arms encircle her and Finrod's lips were upon her brow. 

"Amarië, Amarië dearest love, I cannot begin to understand the pain and suffering that you have endured since we last embraced under the trees in Valinor. But I do know that my love for you is not dimmed, only increased. I always wanted to wed you, but now more than ever. I am not worthy of you, my love, but I still wish it all the same."

"Ai, Finrod!" she turned and looked up at him. "You still wish to, even after all that has happened? I cannot even bear you children!"

"What?" his gasp was so quiet she almost thought it was her imagination that he had spoken.

"The poison... I--I cannot have children... I'm so sorry."

"Don't--stop. I don't want to hear another apology." His embrace only tightened and she could feel his chest heaving. She did not even bother to brush away her own tears. When he continued to speak again, his voice was hoarse. "You are not to blame, only Morgoth. I will still wed you, if you will have me. Time is short, even for those of our kind. I don't want to wait any longer."

"You are serious?"

"Aye. I love you, Amarië. Will you come back with me to Nargothrond?"

She nodded, smiling despite the tears. 

He led her to his horse, who had been waiting patiently all this time, and sat her on top of it, leading them both back to Nargothrond, leaving the forest to its general quiet of day. 

Again, I'm so sorry for the wait! *runs in waving hands wildly* I've just been crazy-busy the last several weeks. :(  Then last night, I suddenly started writing this and finished it this afternoon. 

Feel free to let me know what you think in the comments! And if you enjoyed, don't hesitate to hit that pretty yellow star. ;-) I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate all your comments and votes. <3 And thank you for the 1.3k views!!!

~ Gwynnedd