75 | ACT V, SCENE II

P R E V I O U S L Y

And whatever the pain threw at me, I never dared to let go of that light.

ARCTON FORTRESS, RIMEBAY, VERTGATE.

EDWINA

I WAS ONCE AGAIN LACED in daydream, blowing kisses in the air, my heart a tender frost.

"Catch me! Can you catch me?" I laughed, running faster, my feet lightly touching the ground in soft kisses. The breezy, scarlet dress flew around me, fanning out with my hair as I raced my family to the pomegranate orchard.

No one came after me.

"Aidon? Mother? Father?" I called out, now slightly worried. I felt the warm presence of my knife at my belt and continued further, heading into the trees, feeling the fresh air.

Except that it wasn't the orchard I knew. It had turned into a dark forest. I stumbled into a pool, giving a small shriek as my ankle sunk into the muddy water.

"Edwina," said a voice softly, the barest of whispers, as light as air.

A tall woman with peach sweet flesh stood there, waiting for me, a single ivory rose in hand.

"Who - who are-"

And suddenly, I stumbled back, the realization hitting me like tidal wave, without her even having to answer out loud for me.

Aurea. She was Aurea.

Holy goddess, mother of all gods.

"You've finally come, child. We've been waiting so long for you," she whispered in a sweet, frail voice, plucking a petal and letting it fall to the ground. She suddenly grasped my face in her hands. "You must listen," she said urgently. "You must listen."

"What do you want?" I asked cautiously.

"You need to save them. You need to save them. My true children left it, you let my Cosmo and Titania go-"

"Emerick and Justaline-"

"-they are cheaters, lunatics who will not last for long," Aurea urged.

"-Zadicus and Pandora-"

"-are the eldest of my offsprings, and the vilest," she whispered, the rose thorns now pricking her fingers, pearls of blood dropping to the ground. "And they are coming for you."