33 | ACT II, SCENE V

P R E V I O U S L Y

"I hope you realise the hell you've just invited on yourself, Deimos. I will hurt you for this."

WEDGEMORE, NORMOUNT

WEDGEMORE, NORMOUNT.

EDWINA

I STEPPED OVER THE STATE line dividing Dracnesse and Normount, fists clenched as the men behind me closed the gates with a salute.

My feet took two steps into Deimos's kingdom, Normount. And then I let out a furious hiss.

The Everly kingdom was in shambles.

Located close to Steffith, Normount too experienced the harshest and coldest climate. The brutal weather was all attributed to Deimos's daughter, Drusilla, whose hobbies included turning everything she touched to ice.

My kingdom, Dracnesse, lay on the other side of Normount as the two families shared the river Derwentwater. She'd have turned my land to frost too had it not been for the fire residing in me.

But right now, it was not the cold that enraged me.

It was the sight of the river.

Beautiful, blessed and bountiful, the Derwent had been the cause of deaths and manslaughter within Endollon's three greatest Houses; Everly, Valmont and Tremayne. The Valmonts lost Elodie and the river too, the Tremaynes lost my mother but got a half of the river. The Everlys kept their family intact and managed to snatch the second half, all out of the sheer cunning of Deimos.

The river was a blessing. A gift. A miracle. Its waters turned everything that touched it to gold, gallons and gallons of it, for the Derwent was enormously huge.

In Dracnesse, it flowed in a valley called Skargnesse, and the fields around it were golden, wheat stalks merrily waving in the breeze and shimmering peacefully in the sun. Only once a year was it touched, and we drew out twenty gallons of the water annually to convert to bricks of gold. Half of them were used on the people of Dracnesse; repairing their homes, getting them food, finding them jobs. The other half would go to the bank accounts, where it was stored for public emergencies.

Never had a single bit of gold gathered from the river made its way our Castle.

I never used that gold on myself. Never. It was an imperial rule imposed in Dracnesse, that the water would always be drawn on one specific day of the year. Touching the river otherwise was forbidden.

I hanged the men who stole the water.

The stealing stopped in three years.