52 | ACT II, SCENE XXIV

P R E V I O U S L Y

"My dear, dear woman," Tristan silkily answered with a devil smile. "You have such clever ways of telling me you're attracted to me."

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT

EDWINA

IT HAD BEEN THREE WEEKS since I got my new sword.

I decided to name it Hellfyre, in honour of the old one but still keeping in mind that sacrifices always had to be made. It was a thing of such beauty that I had trouble keeping my eyes off the Ekrite weapon even when busy. The sword was so breathtakingly lighter than the old one

"Where is the King?" I asked at the dinner table, slightly irritated. He never showed up in the afternoon for practice. And any mental efforts to communicate went unanswered.

Had I done something wrong?

Or was he just trying to get back at me?

"Er... your Grace-" Hugo said, uncertain, looking down at the floor. "His Grace hasn't been seen since morning," he stammered.

"Where did he go?"

"He - he left. At the crack of dawn," Ava murmured quietly.

"Why? Where did he go?"

"I don't know, my Queen. He left instructions for his council so that no one's work would suffer," Hugo explained.

Hmm... this wasn't like Tristan. He always attended the meals on time. And he never left the Castle before informing when he'd be back.

Suddenly, the doors opened.

My aunt Celinette came in, wisps of her silvery hair falling in curtains around her cheeks. Her blue eyes were tinged with red. As was her nose.

She'd clearly been crying about something.

Llewellyn was holding his mother's arm, his grey eyes arranged in a carefully solemn expression as he helped her to a chair. The rest of the table had stood up, waiting for the King to come and take his seat at the other end of the table so that they could sit down.

"Aunt Celinette?" I asked cautiously. "Is anything wrong?"

She sniffed, dabbing at her eyes as she gave me a teary smile.

"No, of course not. It's - it's just... the onions."

There were no onions in any of the dishes.