67 | ACT IV, SCENE VI

P R E V I O U S L Y

"You must begin your preparations at once. The planets will pass each other in two days."

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT

TRISTAN

I FINALLY MANAGED TO PICK up my jaw which was left agape. Wordlessly, I handed out my palm for the constellation map. Lunette looked at it coolly for a moment, then handed it over.

"You're telling me you can read this map?" she asked, sounding impressed, as I turned the observatory report and looked it over.

It was chaos.

"The planets are off by ten degrees this century," Edwina muttered worriedly, reading it from beside my shoulder.

"What the fuck, Lunette? Couldn't you have given us a bit more warning than this?" I questioned, my mood turning sour at once. "Two days? How are we supposed to prepare for a festival that invites the whole of Endollon here in two days?"

"Well," she scoffed delicately, taking the map out of my hands, "that is not my problem. I'd suggest you better start getting to work right away, you know. The celebration will have to be held tomorrow night. Good luck," she said airily, leaving a livid Cressida behind who looked at me with a knowing smirk.

"Don't say it-" I said, slamming my forehead.

"-I told you so, your Grace-" she said, jumping right in front of me.

"Gods, Cressida. I don't know how we can plan this in two days."

"Leave that to me, my King," she said briskly. "After all these years, don't you trust me enough to do handle things like these?"

Efficient, efficient woman she was, precisely the sort of person I could trust enough with affairs of state.

"Okay, okay," I muttered. Once she started, Cressida was a force to be reckoned with. "Call a meeting at once in the Great Hall and we will start the planning. Go, I'll be there in a few moments."

She turned to go, holding her files and papers with balance and precision, her golden hair flying behind her.

She left. I turned to my wife. She was chewing her lip and pulling a stray thread on one of the pillows.

"Help me. I don't know the first thing about arranging a bloody Ball." Elodie would have been good at this - she would have enjoyed this. The distant memories still brought tears to my eyes.