Prologue

The following story was edited and published in February of 2019, though for a period of time this and several other books were privated I thought that some of you if you happen to remember them might've enjoyed their return. This was a very formative period for my writing abilities and such an enjoyable one thanks to all the support you guys gave me. Thank you x

"Really? You think I should do it?"

Tim's uncontainable smile pierced James's heart, a growing pit overwhelming his chest with each breath he took. All he could do was force a sincere grin and nod, which only hurt more.

"Okay, if you really think she'll say yes, I'll do it!" Tim stood up, a bright glimmer flickered in his soft excited gaze. Though James's mind almost seemed to be read as Tim started to sound a little more sympathetic, "Hey, are you really sure that you're okay with this? I know that you used to like her..." he asked again.

Used to?

"Yeah, I'm sure. She deserves to be happy, and you'd be great for her." James nodded with a fake gentle chuckle.

His response seemed to satisfy Tim, as he set his hand on James's shoulder, "Thanks, James."

As he turned to go face his future lover, with every step James's expression slowly became more honest as he put his head down on the table. The Starbucks he'd met Tim in slowly felt more and more saddening, every time he glanced in anyone's direction he envied their smiles and company or simply their slight satisfaction as they retrieved their drinks.

The previously growing trench inside his heart had completely enveloped him, causing him to let out a defeated sigh. James hated this, why did his heart have to act this way? He should be happy for them. He should be delighted that Jaiden will be getting together with such a wonderful guy who he knew for sure would treat her right. Though the mere thought of their relationship ate a piece of his optimism, which only made him feel more guilty. Eventually, James couldn't take this anymore. The defeated blonde slunk out of his seat, leaving the coffee shop to drive home.

Nothing felt real, and James despised it; He despised everything about it. Endless opportunities where he had the perfect chance to tell Jaiden how he really felt tortured him mercilessly as he lay on his bed, his dull chocolatey stare fixated on the blank ceiling above.

His heart-shattering thoughts were interrupted by a quiet ding from his phone, and to his relief, it was Adam. The simple "Hey" that he received made something in James's static-ridden mind clear, but perhaps it was merely because simply talking to him didn't feel like someone just stabbed him in the gut. Though through the conversation he started to have, his heart sank a little more as Adam asked what was wrong.

It was funny, no matter how hard James would try he never could hide anything from him. It's either James is bad at hiding things, or Adam knows him too well. Keeping his emotions a secret didn't feel right at the moment, so he spilled it all onto his friend in a paragraph. Before he knew it Adam was standing in his doorway.

He'd never done this before, but the awkwardness was meaningless now. Sitting on his bed, James buried his face in Adam's chest, rehashing the whole scene at Starbucks.

"I don't know why I never told her, I should have. I should have told her everything, now it's too late..." He sighed, feeling a gentle pat on his head. "I'm a failure, Adam." James added with a sigh, the temptation to cry was strong.

Though before he could let a single tear shed, Adam suddenly lifted his chin, forcing him to make eye contact, "I have to disagree, you aren't a failure, you never were one." he answered stiffly.

"But Jaiden's gone, I'll never get to tell her how I really feel now." James protested.

But Adam's opinion could not be swayed,
"Just because you didn't catch one fish, doesn't mean you can't catch another."

James looked away as Adam spoke, "What's the point of trying to catch another fish, I'm probably gonna miss catching that one too." he grumbled.

Adam narrowed his eyes, "Because never fishing at all is a guarantee to going hungry, now come on I hate seeing you in this dark room. Let's go out and eat or something." Adam stood up, heaving James to his feet along with him.

Unenthusiastically, he dragged his feet out the door as Adam searched for a place to eat.

But as James was in the middle of a tired sigh, Adam suddenly seemed a little tense.

He said nothing for a few moments, before stating cautiously, "So, we just got invited somewhere..."