Four

Sometimes the slightest things change the directions of our lives, the merest breath of a circumstance, a random moment that connects like a meteorite striking the earth. Lives have swiveled and changed direction on the strength of a chance remark.

- Bryce Courtenay

*******

Can's POV

"Good morning, Mae..."
I found my mother putting the fried rice he prepared among with the other food she cooked for our breakfast. My sister Lemon is already seated on her usual spot.

"Good morning, sweetie... Did you sleep well?"

"Khrub, Mae... I may come home late today since we'll be having a football practice after classes. Anyway, Ai'Ae is with me so there's nothing for you to worry about..."

"That's great. I already know that you are good in football, what I want to know is how are you doing on your other school works. Aren't you having a hard time balancing both?"

"Mai chai khrub, Mae. All other works are hard but I am happy doing both. My friends are helping me anyway so everything is fine..."

"That's good to hear, Can... I am glad you already made many friends even at this early time of school year."

"Of course, Mae... You know that's the other area I am good at --- making friends."

My mother smiled at me fondly while stroking the top of my head. I closed my eyes to enjoy the warm feeling it brings. I almost doze off with the calmness I felt when I heard my younger sibling babbled annoying words.

"We'll be late if you continue to sleep... I'd rather go first and leave you...!"
"I'm not sleeping...!" Just almost.
"Fine. Then maybe I'm the one dreaming...!"
"You..."
"Stop bickering in front of the food, kids."
"Khorthot na krub/kaa, Mae."

We both fell into silence but continued throwing annoying glares at each other.

This is my family. As I've told you before, my mother is the best. And my sister, she may appear like a witch but I know she always care about me, and so I does to her. We just have a unique way of showing it to each other.

Oh, my father is just not here today. He usually work out-of-town but never fail to contact us whenever he has the opportunity to do so, especially my mother. And I love him the same, just less interactions because of the situation.

We just have an average type of living. Simple and basic, but happy, and that is more than enough for me. Family and friends are more precious than gold. Though of course, wealth is a bonus if you are lucky enough to have it along, too. Especially for someone who really loves food like me. Good thing I can eat everything and my stomach does not discriminate as long as it's edible.

***

"G-goood mooor-ninggg, Cannn..."

"Hey! Aren't you who is Good?" I found my snail friend waiting on the bus stop where we are going to ride the shuttle bus that will bring us to our faculty faster and easier. "You're late again?"

"T-the busss leeeft evvven beeeforrre I cannn ennnterrr. Thhhriceee allreaaaddy."

"Ow, why are they so mean... Don't worry, I am here already to help you..."

"Khooop khuuun naaa khraaab, Caaan."
"No problem, Good." I answered even before he finished his sentence.

The bus is taking its time to arrive so I decided to busy myself with the football ball I am almost always carrying. I tossed it on my knees many times... then keep on kicking it within control, as if dribbling it using my toes.