Chapter 4

EVAN POV

Second period is the worst. It's English, which is fine, since I'm good at all of it. The bad part is all of the presenting we do. We always have slideshows and projects to show the class. My teacher has allowed me to not present a few times, but not every time, which would obviously be way better for me.

After presentations, I say I'm going to the bathroom, but I go behind the science building. I go there because there's a really nice tree, soft green grass, and an amazing view of the hills and water right behind the school. I go to have anxiety attacks, or to clear my head and get fresh air.

I'm going now. I don't feel too good.

CONNOR POV

I'm skipping science today. We're doing the unit on rocks and geology and whatever for the fifth year in a row. It's not even fun anymore because I threw a rock at some kid named Michael in tenth grade and now the teacher gives me little tiny rocks that won't even hurt anyone. What's the point of that??

Instead, I grab my lighter from my backpack and head behind the building. I pick out the cigarette farthest to the left in the box and light it. I'm weird like that.

I hear shuffling in the leaves on the ground. No one's ever out here when I come out here. I peered around the rain gutter on the wall an saw a kid in a blue striped polo. Evan Hansen? He looks upset and maybe a little dizzy.

He took out his phone and started reading something. It calmed him down. Until it didn't, then he sighed and frowned. He was mumbling something to himself.

I tried to get closer so I could see what was going on. Totally not to help him while I'm at it.

I tripped on the root of the huge ass tree. Evan turned around quickly and shut off his phone jist as quickly.

"Connor?"

"Uh yeah," I groaned, a little smoke coming out of my mouth.

"W-Wha are you doing here?"

I held up the cigarette. He reached down and helped me up with his good arm. "That's not good for you."

"I know. That's why I do it."

"Oh."

"What were you doing that was important enough to hide your phone?" I smirked.

"W-What? Nothing."

"Obviously it was something."

"No. Nothing. I didn't uh shut it off b-because of you," he said, now intimidated by me. Or he was just extra nervous today. Pshh whatever.

"Whatever." I inhaled from my cigarette once more, then blew it out. It all went into Evan's face, which was only half on purpose.

To: mostamazingtree_gmail.com

From: lifeandotherstuff_gmail.com

Dear E,

My day's okay. Better than yesterday. I'm getting better everyday. It's nice to have a person to talk to about my problems. Especially because you understand them.

That sounds like something I would do. No matter how totally adorable and sweet I must sound through a screen, I'm not. I'm mean and dark and sad and angry and scary. You're actually adorable and sweet, probably in real life too.

   Sincerely,

C

~•~•~

Hah flirty boi