Chapter 6: Making Friends

Start from the beginning

"Ah, you must be Phoebe Johnson. Come up here Phoebe and introduce yourself." Darn it! So close... yet so far.

It is as if someone flooded a dark room with light, and I am the unexpected sun. Everyone's attention snaps to me. What am I even meant to say to everyone? The teacher literally just introduced me!

"Err... hi. I'm Phoebe. I just moved here to live with my sister, Tammy. She runs the hairdressers." I explain awkwardly, with a sea of unmoving faces gazing at me curiously.

"Oh, I know Tammy. Lovely girl she is. Gets rid of all of the greys I accumulate with teaching this lot." She giggles, and some of the class joins in with her.

Hmm. It seems like they respect her, which is not hard to do when a teacher is laid back and actually engages with the class, acting as if they want to be here.

"Alright Phoebe, I'm Miss Brambles, it's a pleasure to have you in my class. Make sure you always work hard and we'll be the best of friends!" She chirps.

Friends? With a teacher? What kind of place is this?

I slink into the seat next to Minnie, in the middle row to the left of the room, well aware of the gazes locked onto my back (and arse). As I sit down, I notice the girl in front of me scrutinizing me, obnoxiously blowing a bubble with her chewing gum. How does she do that? I've never been able to blow bubbles! I just stare back, a little unnerved but unwilling to back down. After a couple of moments, the girl shrugs her shoulders and spins around, concentrating on Miss Brambles.

About half way through the lesson, Miss Brambles sets us on independent work. Minnie absolutely flies through the questions like the little nerd I have found her out to be, whilst I am ten questions behind her. Already annoyed at my apparent slowness, a bit of paper hits my back, winding me up further. I ignore it, thinking that it is probably just some idiot vying for attention. Literally five seconds later, a second roll of paper lands on my head, making my nostrils flair. Impatient, pompous werewolf.

"Oi, new girl." Someone whispers in a not so quiet voice behind me.

Turning around with a loud sigh, contempt laced into my expression, I am greeted with an annoyingly hot werewolf, leaning back on his chair, chewing on a pencil whilst flashing his perfect canines. Dull blue eyes and shaggy blonde hair, with an infuriating know-it-all stance makes me roll my eyes, seemingly knocking his confidence slightly. Good. I am not some bimbo that totally loses herself over an 8 out of ten. A 9 out of 10 though... well. I mean, I am part human. I guess I can admit he has some good looks, like a stereotypical jock, and smells like he comes from high standing (probably the son of an alpha) but I like my prey a little more... exotic.

"I'm Ryker. And you're gorgeous." He winks at me.

I blink once. Twice. There is a real smell of cheese in here. I roll my eyes and turn to move around, when I see it. The mark on his neck, peeping out from his polo shirt. The mark of a mate. I turn my manic gaze on him, furious that someone could belittle the gift of a mate so freely. It is an insult to my mother. I hope his mate is as slimy and disgusting as he is. He does not deserve anyone better.

"I find you repulsive. Look out for the woman you've already got before romancing another." I hiss.

A few gasps collect around me, as I realise I may have been a little louder then necessary. Were's look at me in anger for disrespecting their future alpha, and humans look at me in wonder... and respect. If wolves were not so dedicated to the people of high rank, they would see the slanderous ways of their elders. Shit, I was hoping not to cause a scene so early in my time here, but you know. I am what I am. Luckily, I am saved by the bell.

"That was awesome that you stood up against Ryker! Not many other people would have done that." Minnie smiles warmly at me. "How do you know that he has a girlfriend though?" She asks in confusion.

"I err... saw them this morning, making out in the hall." I finish lamely, but Minnie seems to accept the explanation.

"Yes that's them alright, always exchanging bodily fluids in public places." Minnie explains as she wrinkles her nose up in disgust. Me too sister.

"Have you got chemistry next?" She asks me, and I nod in response.

We walk in comfortable silence to our next class, navigating our way through the busy hall. A least I have one friend. Yay! Go me! I am like, so lame. I wonder if Minnie has any friends. I mean she is lovely, and very pretty, but she keeps her eyes glued to the floor as if she is scared to look at other people, and has not talked to anyone apart from me and a few teachers. I feel the deadly emotion of pity start to overtake my feelings, but I am soon chastised when two girls rush up to us and pull Minnie into their arms, squealing piercingly. Calm down girls.

One of them is a stunning Latina, tall and curvy with beautiful sienna burnt skin, copper from days out in the sun. Her hair, like the midnight sky, is a thick black colour, and shimmers luxuriously like stars in the light. She regards me with dark calculating chestnut eyes and pursed bow shaped lips, until she bursts into a smile and she holds her hand out for me to shake.

"Hi, I'm Celestrina." She welcomes me with her warm, thick Spanish accent.

"Hi I'm Phoebe." I grin back at her, pulling her into a hug instead of shaking her hand.

She lets out an oof of surprise, and awkwardly pats my back whilst Minnie giggles. I get the feeling that Celestrina is not used to much open affection. I then turn my attention to the girl, or should I say werewolf beside her. Against her black woollen jacket, the girl's blonde hair is almost white. It falls to a straight-line midway down her back, absolutely flat and shining in the morning light. When she turns her head, it moves with her like a liquid, and about her freckled face, the shorter strands hang forwards to almost hide her eyes. But as she looks up, eyes the colour of autumn carrot tops pierce into me, assessing me, before she smiles and hugs me, introducing herself as Spencer.

"We don't get many new people in this old town. Everyone's talking about you!" Celestrina exclaims, as we settle down into a boring lesson of chemistry.

"Yes... I've heard some interesting rumours." I shrug.

"Don't worry about it, it's just talk." Spencer pipes up, the first time she has spoken to me. As she is a were I know it will take her a long time to learn to trust me. In fact, I am surprised that she is friends with two humans. In the old Pack I used to live near, were's and humans were completely separate beings. Humans were viewed as scum; trash and beneath were's. It is refreshing to witness the unity of both races in this strange little town, as this is how my mother wants them to live like, as allies; not enemies.

"Do you have anyone to sit with at lunch yet?" Minnie asks me.

"No, not of as yet." I reply with a small smile.

"Why don't you sit with us?" Celestrina squeals.

"If you're sure that's ok." I murmur, grateful for their kindness.

"Of course it is!" Minnie smiles warmly.

Well, that is one obstacle down at least. I have a feeling that life will throw me many more before my time here is up though.

Vote and comment if you're enjoying please loves ❤️❤️

Edited