Chapter 1- Another day

Music, it was all that could be heard. The riffs running through one ear and into the other. It was an escape, like floating into a world where things can be forgotten, thought about, or simply just washed away with passions and ideas. It was an unusual coping mechanism, but teenagers rarely had anything that wasn't destructive to keep their mental health in check. Blindfolded, practically naked, and with earbuds in, Kia was doing just that. Relieving her stress for her first day of senior year. Her music list playing songs that she knew well, most not really known. She enjoyed all types of music of course, but often unknown singers were untouched by the music industry. Making them rather unique. Some would accuse her of being a hipster, but really she was just cynical. Her hair messy and wrapped in little red knots around her head, swaying slightly as the girl bopped her head along to the music. Chills running down her spine, giving her a feeling of just being happy. Time was shut out, life was shut out, and things were great.

However the escape was finished with the loud annoying tones of her phone alarm going off, cutting out her music. Stress instantly finding it's way back into her body, making her muscles tense. With a groan, Kia stood up. Her tired hazel eyes closing shut quickly as her blindfold was removed and dropped to the floor, swirling into a little fabric pile. Light was faintly streaming through the windows in her room. Cursing the sun ever so slightly, the redhead pulled out the earbuds from her ears. Shutting up the dreaded alarm and accepting her fate of preparing for her first day of senior year. And she just wanted to make it through without totally screwing things up. She had great friends, decent grades, and things were perfectly okay. Not bad, not great. Just where she liked it, not very susceptible to change. Her daily routine, shower. Today was a shampoo day, tomorrow was just a conditioner day. Then she could wash her face and brush her teeth while waiting for her straightener to finish heating. Straighten her hair. Straightened was great for her, it wasn't good for her hair. But she could dry her hair while also making sure it was nice by letting it just fall into a nice straight organized heap. Then she would get dressed, in something comfortable, but fashionable enough to be not seen as lazy. After that it was maybe eat, if she had time, and leave to meet her best friend AJ at their usual spot. It was a nice morning routine, and rarely changed. Unless picture day or some dumb event she cared little about. She was not unique, she was not quirky, she was someone who just wanted to blend in.

After finishing a warm shower, Kia found herself staring in the mirror. Her freckled face looking back at her with the same old features. Maybe putting some mascara on would be okay. And a touch of lip gloss. Just for the first day. A small smile crossed her lips as she thought a bit. It wouldn't hurt to add a slight curl to her hair as well. After all, it was the first day of a long year.

Again, the redhead found herself in the same position, looking at her clothes and sighing gently. She had wanted to wear a cute skirt she had bought over the summer for a long time. And it would look cute with her brand new crop top. After all, it was her last first day of school. It was okay to make the most of it. Also her high heels boots would be pretty cute with the outfit, and she needed an excuse to wear them.

Finally after her routine, Kia was preparing her backpack, that she would probably not use again the rest of the year. Instead opting to just carry her necessary books, it was easier and lighter anyway. Plus backpacks kind of clashed with her sense of style. Looking up she noticed her father sitting on the stairs. A quiet look on his face, but he was not really doing anything. Not looking at anything. Instead he was just looking far off. The girl thought it to be something to do with his eldest daughter going off for her last year of high school. But she also suspected he could have been just really tired before work. Like the weird tired where you aren't tired enough to realize you are pretty much effed up. Smiling gently, and swinging her back pack over her shoulder, while managing to catch her hair under the strap, Kia waved a goodbye to her father. Her younger brother Connor was probably already on his way to school, seeing as he usually likes to be weirdly early.