Chapter 28 - No Cure

I woke up the next morning with not enough sleep and an urge to scream into my pillow. My dad lightly knocked on my door and walked in.

“Hey sweetie, the Sheriff let me in. I just wanted to make sure you were okay and let you know that, with what’s going on with Stiles, I’m going to start moving your stuff back in this morning before heading to work so you’ll be sleeping at home tonight, okay?”

I nodded, “Okay. Is there any news about Stiles?”

“No, he’s having an MRI today and the Sheriff would like you and Scott to be there. It’s after school.” I didn’t say anything I just walked up to my dad and gave him a hug. “Stiles will be fine.” He said to me, but I wasn’t so sure.

I drove to school and walked to my locker and then first class, thinking how weird it was to not have Stiles rambling on about something and making sarcastic comments. I didn’t really speak to anyone, not even Scott. I went to my classes and at lunch time I found myself eating in the stands at the swimming pool just because I knew no-one would be there. At least no-one was there until Isaac came running up.

“Hey, I’ve been looking for you everywhere. When I went to Allison’s last night we found some weird messages on her phone in Japanese. Kira’s dad said it was a fake recording of someone yelling instruction out in a prisoner of war camp in World War II.”

“Stop.” I said in a small voice. “Isaac, stop. Just… please.”

He paused and crouched down so he was eye level. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.”

“Anna…”

“I said I’m fine!” I yelled as I jumped up. “I’m perfectly fine, Isaac, but Stiles…”

“Will be okay.”

“No, you don’t get it. No-one gets it. The Sheriff does, Scott suspects, but he won’t say it.”

“Say what?”

“Frontotemporal Dementia. It’s the only kind of Dementia that can affect teenagers.”

“What does that have to do with Stiles?” Isaac asked.

“It’s genetic… it’s what killed his mother.” I whispered before quickly walking past Isaac before he could say anything else.

I sat through my last lessons and as soon as the bell rang I was out the door and driving down the road. I only made it half way before I heard a flapping noise that got worse and worse as my car started to pull to one side. “You’ve got to be joking.” I muttered as I pulled over on the side of the road and got out to see how bad the flat tyre was. “Come on! You piece of crap!” I yelled and kicked the tyre as if I could beat it into submission. Before I knew it I was crying and leaning over the bonnet of the car.

“Anna…?” I male voice said from behind me.

“Damn it.” I whispered as I quickly whipped away the tears and spun around. “Deputy Parrish, hi.”

“Are you okay?” Wow I was getting sick of being asked that.

“Yeah, I’m fine… I just got a flat that’s all, I must have hit something.”

“I’ve never seen someone react that way to a flat tyre and if you don’t recall what you hit then you probably shouldn’t be driving. You’re on your way to the hospital aren’t you? To see Stiles.” Of course he knew. He worked with the Sheriff. I gave a small nod. “Come on, I’ll drive you. It’s a squad car, but at least you’ll be in the passenger’s seat.” He joked and I let out a small smile.