Chapter Twelve: Not As Sweet

Remington's POV

We make it back to the door of the bus, still holding hands.

"It's been a wonderful day." I tell her.

"Yeah, it has." She replies, looking down at her shoes. She is so beautiful. I think I want to try to kiss her.

"Harper." I whisper. She looks up at me, her cheeks already a little flushed. I can hear her heart rate get faster. I take my free hand and place it on her cheek. I can feel the heat on her face, and the blood pumping through her veins. I take a deep breath. Her smell fills my nose and intoxicates me. 'You can do this Remington.' I tell myself, ignoring the burning in the back of my throat. 'You won't hurt her.' It's been a couple days since I've had anything to drink and I'm starting to feel thirsty. I've felt it all day. It's been getting harder and harder to be around her. I lean in to her, at a very slow and comfortable pace. Holding my breath, I gently place my lips on hers. I feel the electricity as it sends sparks all through my body. Her heart beat and her scent are stronger than ever. She grows weak, and leans into me. Her neck is so close and it's all I can focus on. I start to black out, so I break the kiss. I stand her upright, and squeeze her hand. I need to find someone to drink, like now.

"I have to go. I have something I have to do. I'll be back soon." I tell her. I turn on my heel and quickly walk away, leaving her standing alone.

Harper's POV

Remington turns the corner and is out of sight. I catch my breath and try to process what just happened. He obviously hated the kiss. He looked like he was in pain when he pulled away. And then he just walks away? He hated it and didn't want to have to tell me that. I open the door to the bus and walk inside. Emerson and Sebastian aren't here. I climb into my bunk and lay on my side, tears flowing down my cheeks, staining the pillow. What am I going to do now that things went badly? I should have known better. How could he possibly like someone like me? I play with the small music note charm on my bracelet and let the tears flow freely until I finally pass out.

Remington's POV

I round the corner and find a small bookstore. I enter the store and pretend to peruse the books. An older man greets me from behind the counter and I nod at him. A small black cat approaches and weaves his way in and out around my legs in a figure eight type fashion. I work my way around the store and find a little reading nook in the back. In the nook is a small woman, not much younger than myself. She has big black reading glasses on and seems to be lost in a world far from here. I make my way up to her. When i reach her, she looks up at me.

"Hello." I say, turning the charm on.

"Um, hello." She says, flustered. She closes her book and removes her glasses, placing them on the table next to her. She has the most striking emerald eyes.

I extend my hand to her. "My name is Remington. I saw you sitting there and thought you looked a little too pretty to be by yourself, and thought maybe you wanted to go get some coffee with me?"

She looks at my hand, then looks up at me and makes eye contact. That was a big mistake. Now the only thing she can see is me. She takes my hand and I smile, gotcha. She stands and we walk out of the bookshop, hand in hand. I noticed on my way into the bookshop, there is a small alley next to it. Seems kind of perfect, alleys are my scene. I pull her into the alley and we walk as far back as we can get, where the light is dim. I look into her deep green eyes, and they glaze over. I've taken all of her senses from her now. Her heart rate quickens as the panic sets in. I lean in and take in a large breath, inhaling her scent. Not as sweet as my Harper, but she will have to do. I sink my fangs deep into her neck and let the warm liquid fill my mouth. She goes limp in my arms as I drain her.