Every Thought Of You 3

Chapter 3

I tried to sleep on the way back to the house, but every time Cole went over a speed bump, I would awaken startled.

"Shhh Maisie it's just the road." Cole said quietly after I whimpered before closing my tired eyes again.

Cole hadn't been out of the hospital since I was in there, so this is the first time he'd been home since mum and dad were killed as well.

Charley was going to be there waiting for us, which will hopefully make things a little easier for us both.

Charley was such a talkative girl who won't give up on people easily, she had me on 'hello' when we first met.

When I first introduced her to my brother, they had instantly clicked as Cole told embarrassing stories about me and laughed for hours afterwards.

I had always hoped that maybe there would be something deeper between the two of them one day, they were great for each other, despite the 5 year age difference.

"Here we are." Cole muttered to himself as we pulled up onto the pavement outside the house.

The house that lived our happy family now only lives Cole and I. It was placed on the corner of a quiet road in the suburbs.

It's tall cream walls towered over us as the tree branches covered the roof and one half of the house.

Cole pulled into the drive way which was surrounded by muddy grass in the pouring rain.

I stepped out of the car shaking vigorously due to the continuous falling rain and the upset and anger I held inside of me.

I looked up to the darkening grey clouds and then dropped down my sight onto mum and dads bedroom.

Through the large wooden framed window I could see their dresser and wardrobe, the white curtains were partly drawn back.

This was enough to set me off.

I crumpled to the floor in a crying mess. My shoulder length blonde hair stuck to my face as it soaked in the rain drops.

I sobbed and sobbed. I felt hurt and pained. We were parentless. Cole and I would have to live on our own from now on, with no one to look after us. We'd be taking care of ourselves.

Cole quickly ran over to me and scooped me up and ran into the house.

Charley was stood in the pale blue doorway crying hard too. Her once bright ocean blue eyes had lost their gleam and shine to them, as if the lights had gone out inside her.

Her long straight blonde hair was tossed up into a careless messy bun, and she looked like she hadn't slept for days with the worry.
My parents had been like her second family.

Cole carried me in through the large doorway and past Charley who looked at me slightly with sad eyes. He took me through the hallway and into the open kitchen.

The house smelt and looked like it did two days ago.

The dirty drink glasses were still on the breakfast table from before we went out to the bank and my parents died.

I can almost hear mums annoyed speeches to dad about washing the dishes while he sat looking through last weeks newspaper, sending me side smirks and rolling his eyes.

She'd go on about how nobody pulls their weight in this house, and how she has to do everything around here.

Cole gently put me down on the chair at the kitchen table. Charley had followed us in and shut the door behind her.