Chapter9

The next morning with an hour to spare before they went to the lodge Jude decided to take the pup out for a walk as Zero was busy in the house gym. Zero's house was in the outskirts of the small town and everything was within walking distance.

Jude followed the scent of coffee to a countrified Starbucks; his stomach growled reminding him that he hadn't gotten his daily dose of caffeine just yet. A cute brunet who appeared to be just about his age stood behind the counter "Hi. Welcome to Papi JJ's. What can I get for you?" he asked with a large friendly smile.

"That's more of a welcome than I ever get where I'm from," Jude laughed.

The young guy grinned "I didn't think you were from around here, I know most people."

"First what's your order then tell me the girl's name." the barista said petting the squirming pup.

Jude liked the outgoing personality of the barista and immediately decided he would over tip but he wasn't too happy about the weight of his rainbow phone case in his pocket he had forgotten to take out before leaving the city.

This was a closed-minded small town, right? Probably filled with homophobes and now one was already assuming he was here for a girl, not that he was with Zero for that kinda fun but still.

He cleared his throat ordered a tall latte and put the cover story in colour "No girl man, just a friend from college a guy. Zero you know him?"

'Man'...

The term left a blunt aftertaste on his tongue, he sounded like Steven his conventionally masculine older brother.

The barista fixed up the drink in conversation "Everyone knows Zero, but isn't he like a few years older than you?"

"Just by five but we had mutual friends so we became friends. Still, he's even outsourcing my services in Hotel Management for his lodge."

"He and I go way back too, dated in high school." The barista rolled his eyes "But don't remind my husband that."

What?

Jude was shaken, Did Zero really date a guy in high school?

And did he know that he was divulging this delicate information to strangers?

"He's not really the relationship kinda guy is he?" the barista interrupted Jude's thoughts. "Which is a tragedy since he's hot and such a nice guy and would make some guy happy but ever since he retired he puts all his time into the lodge and those kids he's always helping."

Jude's PR brain cells lit up "I'd love to hear more." He said.

The barista went on as he dropped a plate of cookies in front of Jude starting with "Gideon is dedicated to those kids..."

So the altruistic streak went deeper than what Jude initially assumed. Inside he warmed at the possibility that the athlete was more than a sports star.

"He's stubbornly quiet, I know next to nothing about his life," Jude said in a not-so-subtle attempt to get the eager barista to talk more.

The barista threw him a sympathetic glance "I hear you, I don't think even Nick knows what goes on in his head and he's supposed to be the best friend."

"Speaking of Nick I was wondering about him they seem close." Jude tried for more sipping on his delicious beverage.

"Like brothers," the barista said folding the table cloth he had in his hands "They watch each other's backs on and off the field. They are brothers"

"Envy over success?" Jude pushed, a finely shaped brow slowly lifting inquisitively.

The barista burst out laughing "No, aside from basic male one-upmanship no way. You see, Nick's house was Gideon's escape from parental pressure growing up. Nick's parents were like surrogate parents for him. Everyone in town knows the Bennets are elitist snobs."

"And Nick never cared that his best friend's career took off bigger than his?"

"Not that he lets on." He swiped the white damp cloth over the counter "In some ways outside of the public scope he's had a better life and living than that of our superstar."

Jude digested the information and knew the barista spoke from his heart or at least that's the way he saw it. Still, he wondered if Nick was really genuine or nurtured a grudge deep within. "You make a mean latte, will you make me another to go please," he said to the barista digging into his wallet.

"Why? Do you not trust Nick?"

Before the publicist could reply a pretty brunette girl who looked like the barista sat down next to him just as well as a group of workmen strode into the store with noise giving him a reprieve from having to explain his motives.

Jude waved a hand at the barista ready to go once his coffee was served.

"Hey, fine Chyna." One of the men catcalled to the girl sitting next to him "I get off work at five you free to exercise your knees?"

The girl glanced down at her sweatpants, her face held no makeup, she looked up bewildered"I'm back after five years and this is what I get?" she looked between the barista and the other customer with the pup. Jude noticed she looked exactly like the barista only she had plumper rosy lips and long hair hidden in beanie-clearly twins.

She joked "Obviously the town has no single women left or he is blind"

The yeller stepped closer "Come on now I can show you a good time," he said, bumping his hip deliberately to the poor girl.

"Hey stop that," Jude said.

The barista piped in "Roy why don't you go back home to your wife and kid."

Roy grumbled ready to invade Jude's space and the barista spoke up again "If I were you I'd hold me back. He's with your boss."

Roy stepped back as the other guys laughed at him and he apologized "Why didn't you mention, I would never disrespect Zero," he said his groggy voice filled with awe and respect.

The girl twin who sat next to him spoke up after he'd turned to the far corner where his friends were "Roy will never change." She said looking at his retreating back and finished "He's got his faults everyone puts up with but he's an excellent father and he needs the income from the construction site."

Some guy exiting the little cafe's kitchen spoke up "The Bennet kid brought employment to town and he's been working Roy's kid stick to schools he can get a football scholarship and do better than his old man there."

Murmurs of assent grew around him, Zero was obviously a popular town legend.