Chapter Twenty: Happy New Year

Liliana was now entering the twenty-fifth week of her pregnancy; the couple were currently in Portugal spending Christmas and New Year with Cristiano’s family and her father.

The brunette was wearing a cream maternity skater dress with green embellishment paired with pink suede sandals.

Liliana rolled her eyes as Cristiano handed her a glass of water, he worried about her not getting enough fluids, Dolores chuckled as she watched her youngest son settle next to his fiancée; she knew that he was worried about her.

It had been three weeks since Liliana had cut off all contact with her mother, who hadn’t taken the rejection very well and was furious that her daughter had chosen Cristiano over her.

“So is anyone making a New Year’s Resolution?” Ze asked as he wrapped his arm around Cátia who smiled at him; the family were gathered together to ring in the New Year and where having a small party to celebrate.

“I would like to finish my book this year,” Liliana mused making Cristiano smile at her, he knew that when the baby came that she had every intention of focusing on being a mother; so Liliana had decided to attempt to finish her second book as soon as she could.

“How is that going?” Elma asked curiously, she had been a big fan of Liliana’s first book ‘From Madrid with Love’; she couldn't wait to read the sequel.

Cristiano rubbed Liliana’s hand in comfort; he knew that she had been struggling with her book as of late, with everything that was going on in her personal life she was finding it hard to write.

“I’m getting there, slowly but surely,” Liliana said making Elma nod as Edgar sat down next to his wife, he handed her a drink while he stared at the television watching the New Year count down programme.

Cristiano ran his thumb over the top of Liliana’s hand before he pressed a kiss to her lips, the couple knew that things were going to be difficult when the baby came but they had started to work on what they would do when their son was born.

“Have you decided on a name yet?” Roberto asked making his daughter and her fiancé look at him; he was thrilled at the thought of becoming a grandparent, he couldn't wait to see his grandson when he was born.

“Not yet… we have a few ideas but haven’t decided yet,” Cristiano said making Liliana nod in agreement, she glanced at her father while Dolores headed into the kitchen to collect some stuff for the party.

The family talked between themselves for a while until the finally count down to 2011 started; Cristiano kissed Liliana softly as the bells of the New Year rang in.

“I love you,” the Portuguese said to his fiancée as he pulled back slightly from her, Liliana looked at him; she hoped that this year would be better than the last.

“I love you too,” Liliana said as Cristiano pulled her into another kiss; Roberto and Dolores smiled at one another as they watched their two children.

***

Stephanie rolled her eyes as she listened to her mother complain about the fact that her sister hadn’t dropped Cristiano and refused to come and visit for Christmas.

It was clear that there would be no repairing the damage done between Liliana and Justine; something that upset Stephanie at the thought of losing her sister over something like a boyfriend.

However it was Liliana’s words from the last time that Stephanie had seen her that rung in the brunette’s head.

 “You’ll realise one day that Madre isn’t always right… that something, someone will be worth putting everything else at risk,” she wondered if her sister had been right.

Ever since Liliana had cut all contact with Justine and Stephanie, Justine had been trying to force her fancy boys onto Stephanie; even though she was happy with Nicolas and she hoped that one day that he would be the man that she married.

Stephanie looked over at her mother who was drinking with a couple of friends across the posh ballroom; she had been dragged to this party in her mother’s hopes, that she would take a liking to the stuck up snobs.

Stephanie looked as Justine complained to another of her friends who would listen about the fact that Liliana was being stupid in marrying a footballer; though it was clear that no one but the brunette thought that Liliana was being stupid.

The last person to tell Justine that she should be happy for her daughter, and be celebrating the fact that her eldest daughter was getting married and having a baby; had ended up being thrown out of the office and Justine had fired her on the spot.

Stephanie sighed as she pulled out her phone and smiled at the text from Nicolas wishing her a happy new year; she wondered if 2011 would be better than the last year.