Chapter Twelve: Justine Comes to Visit

Liliana licked her lips as she spotted Justine and a sulking Stephanie walking through Madrid-Barajas Airport to meet her; the brunette hadn’t known what to expect when her mother had called to say that she was calling to visit.

“Madre, it’s nice to see you,” Liliana greeted as her mother stopped in front of her, the older brunette pursed her lips as she looked at her eldest daughter disapprovingly at the black/white T-shirt dress in monoclash print paired with purple metallic Mary Jane platforms.

“Hola Stephanie,” Liliana said making her sister smile at her softly as she looked at her big sister before pulling out her phone and turning it on.

“How was your flight?” Liliana asked, she knew her mother well enough to know that something was bothering her and it was likely that she would take it out on Cristiano when they arrived home. Justine handed her suitcase to Liliana who took it.

“Short,” Justine said making her eldest daughter nod as they left the airport; the brunette led her mother and sister to her Audi Q3 which was parked not far from the airport.

Liliana held back a groan as she spotted the look on her mother’s face when she spotted the car, she knew that her mother didn't approve of a lot of things in her life and it wouldn’t be long before the Spanish woman commented on it.

“Another new car… must you waste your money Liliana,” Justine scowled as she looked at the car and then at her eldest daughter who nodded softly; Liliana didn't bother to correct her that she’d had the car for nearly a year now.

“Plus I hear that you and Cristiano are living together again… I thought I told you he was a bad influence,” Justine said as Liliana put her mother’s and sister’s suitcases into the back of the car with no help.

Stephanie had already climbed into the back of the car and was texting her boyfriend, ignoring their mother’s rant about Liliana ignoring her when it came to Cristiano.

“It’s just until they fix that burst pipe in my home,” Liliana said making her mother glare at her as the two of them got into the house; after talking with Roberto, Cristiano and Liliana had decided against telling Justine about their engagement and that they were expecting a baby.

“You should let me set you up with one of the boys from back home… they would be so much better for you than that Portuguese,” Justine said as Liliana pulled on her seatbelt and started the car, she knew that it was going to be a long drive home.

***

Cristiano swallowed as Justine climbed out of the car, he was only to aware that the Spanish mother disliked him; no matter what he did, it was clear that Justine would never approve of him marrying Liliana.

“Ms. Perez… it’s a pleasure to see you again,” Cristiano said politely as he moved to help bring in the suitcases; he didn't miss the look at Liliana shot him as she leaned against her car. Justine pursed her lips as she glared at the footballer.

“I wish I could say the same,” the Spaniard said before she walked into the house followed by Stephanie, who was still texting Nicolas. Cristiano looked at Liliana, who rolled her eyes as she offered him a small smile as she opened the back of the car for him.

“You okay?” Cristiano asked softly, he knew how harsh Justine could be with her daughters and sadly it had rubbed off on Stephanie as the younger brunette had gotten older; Liliana had always been closer with her father and so had been spared from her mother’s rants when she had moved to live with him.

“I can’t wait for her to go back to Barcelona,” Liliana murmured as she looked at her fiancé, who nodded; Justine was a nightmare if she thought things weren’t going her way and it also meant that with her here, Cristiano wouldn’t be able to be close with Liliana.

“It’s only for the weekend then we won’t see her again until she has business in Madrid again,” Cristiano murmured making Liliana nod as they closed up her car and headed back inside; Justine was inspecting the house and didn't look happy when they entered.

Liliana glanced at Cristiano, who held back a frown as the older woman turned to look at the two; she tutted as she looked at the Portuguese who was stood close to her eldest daughter.

“This will do… though we’d be better staying in a hotel,” Justine sniffed making Cristiano glare at her; he knew what she was trying to do but he wasn’t going to fall for it this time, she was his future mother-in-law and he knew that there was no way around it.

“Now Liliana I would like to see my room,” Justine said making the brunette nod as she glanced at Cristiano; Liliana had made sure that her mother’s bedroom was completely tidy before she had gone to the airport.

Justine Perez was a very picky woman and if things didn't go her way then she would make sure that it was known to everyone what she thought.

***

Letting out a sigh of relief, Cristiano locked his bedroom door before moving to wrap his arms around Liliana; her mother had driven them both insane in the few short hours that she had been here.

Stephanie had spent the night on her phone talking to Nicolas, even though Justine repeatedly told her youngest daughter that she needed someone better for a boyfriend.

“Just two more days,” Cristiano murmured as he kissed down Liliana’s tanned neck, as she leaned back into his arms; she closed her eyes content that they could finally act like a couple without worrying what her mother thought.

“This weekend can’t be over quick enough,” Liliana said as she turned to face her fiancé, he smiled at her as he pecked her lips; he knew what she meant, he couldn't stand listening to Justine telling his fiancée about men that would be better suited for her than him.

“I’m sorry about this,” Liliana said making Cristiano shake his head, he kissed her softly as he pulled her against him; he knew she felt guilty that her mother treated him this way, no matter what happened in his life, Justine would always see Cristiano as the poor boy from Funchal, Madeira.

“As long as I know that you love me… whatever she says doesn’t matter,” Cristiano said making Liliana smile softly as she rested her head against his; the Portuguese wrapped his arms around her and sighed.

“I love you,” the brunette said making her fiancé smile as he took a deep breath, he closed his eyes as he thought about how much easier things would be when Justine went back to Barcelona.

“I love you too,” Cristiano said as he held Liliana to him, they knew how stressful Justine’s visits could become if she thought that something was being hidden from her.

When they lived in Manchester together, Justine had made a visit and suspected that they were dating; she had stopped at nothing in an attempt to pull them apart.

To this day the couple still thought themselves lucky that they had survived that week and now here they were again five years later, about to do the same thing again.