Chapter Ten

*Kenneth

There were too many women. Too many females crowded around Kenneth, and he had to double down on his fight-or-flight instincts and remind himself who was the master.

He was the master.

He was the king of this hill, he was—another woman was coming.

He was out of there.

Reese came to his side as he shifted to go. In the next instant he recognized Melanie, the department CAO with her usual bustling walk, her shoes swishing on the carpet, and her nose was buried in a file. She stopped short upon seeing the crowd.

"What's this all about? Did you need something from me, Kenneth?" she asked.

Reese's mouth popped open and her frown lines appeared. It would seem she suspected he wasn't from the help desk. He'd been meaning to mention the truth.

"No, I was checking up with Reese on an issue and then we got into Sci-Fi Friday nights. Fully stocked snack bars, bring your own pillow, and take a peek at the geek side. All right. I'll see everyone later." He turned and nearly stumbled over his feet in his rush to escape.

Reese caught up to him. "Kenneth, let me walk you to the elevator, there was one more thing I needed to ask," she said, hooking her arm through his elbow.

He shortened his steps to match hers. A wave of warmth hit him. With her arm in his, he could face anything. He would follow her down to the pits of hell, across a lava flow, over half-frozen lakes, into a supernova, and through spider-infested barns if she asked it of him. Hell, he'd go back to the clothes department and stay alone for five minutes if she asked.

"Come over here," she hissed.

You got it.

She craned her neck to see if anyone was watching and then guided him off to the side where the copier stood. They crammed behind a huge potted plant next to a closed door. There wasn't much room for the two of them, they had to squeeze together to fit.

The scent of her perfume reached his nose and he breathed it in. "What did you think? How did I do?"

"You were top-notch. Really. I'm sorry if Clem came on a bit strong with the sci-fi stuff, pay her no mind."

"I'm not."

She let out a whoosh from her lungs and her shoulders dropped. "In that case, let me fix your shirt."

"I mean, it is reassuring to know there are women out there who love Firefly and would like to have an Alien Face Hugs t-shirt, but she isn't the only woman in the world."

Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.

She did understand she was not just another woman to him—right? Sure, he had the date planned with Amanda, and his mind was dead set on impressing the hell out of her with his PhD and new jeans, but there was something he couldn't put into words about Reese.

That name on his lips. Reese. First thing this morning. Last thing as he unwound the night before.

Reese screwed up her face and chewed on her bottom lip. "Other women. Of course. Can you get the button—"

Women's voices came closer. Reese reached for the door handle, and before he could ask where they were going she pulled him into a small pitch-dark closet.

His normal nervousness from confined spaces or not being able to see evaporated at the press of breasts on his chest and warm thigh against his leg. Claustrophobia? Nope. Not a problem.