Eleventh 👣-edited

"For how long have you been paralyzed ?"

"A few months I believe...uhm... since September."

" Only from the knees down?"

"Yes."

The doctor nodded, looking down at his papers intently. We've been to the hospital for a few hours now and the boys were waiting for me outside.

"Do you know what deep vein thrombosis means?"

I looked at the doctor, shaking my head. I hated biology. I was one of those people who read organism as orgasm and invagination as imagination. Biology and I were more parallel than the opposite faces of a ruler.

"Well," the doctor continued, " VTM is when you have a blood clot in a major vein deep inside the body. Because of your accident and the poor treatment afterwards these clumps of blood formed in your legs. I will prescribe you anticoagulants to prevent clots from getting bigger until we'll be able to appoint a surgery."

"Is this uhm... VTM... alarming?"

"I wouldn't say so. Not yet anyways. If you take your anticoagulants and the surgery goes well, you'll be all dandy."

"Will I still be paralyzed?"

"Yes...I am sorry, Mr. Matvey..."

...

When I've exited the doctor's office, only Greg and Ryder were waiting for me outside.

"Where is Sid?" I asked.

"He went to buy us some coffee. How are you? What did the doctor say?"

I just shrugged my shoulders, pushing the paper with the doctor's notes in Greg's palm. He started reading them, his face contorting with different shapes of frowns. Sid came back just when he finished his facial jiggling.

"Oh, you're out."

"Of the closet... I thought we made this clear a few years ago."

Both Sid and his father scrunched their homophobic noses at me.

"Drink your coffees; afterwards we're going to the mall." Greg said, throwing the paper back in my lap and turning his back to all of us. Sid did the same but in the opposite direction leaving me and Ryder to stare at each other.

I sipped on my coffee, hissing when it burned my tongue. My silent huffs were followed by Ryder's snickers.

"What are you laughing at, mutt?"

Ryder scowled.

"At a dumb idiot who heads tongue first into drinking from an obviously hot drink."

I've very maturely stuck my tongue out before proceeding to once again sip on the steaming coffee. My tongue got burned again, Ryder laughed at me and I grimaced, not understanding how I've already forgotten the drink was so very hot... "Like me" I snickered.

'ཀ'✿'ཀ'

When we went to the mall, Greg offered to buy us lunch. Sid was the first one to finish and when he discarded his tray he came back to our table and said:

"So... I think this is where we part, right? I mean, as much as I love to waste my time with you, prudes, I would rather not." Without waiting for anyone's response, he rushed to the sliding stairs and made himself unseen through the cluster of people descending to the second floor.

Greg looked at me and then at Ryder, stuffing his mouth full with food as if talking with an empty mouth like a decent human would have hurt him.