[15]

Everything was spinning. You could feel everything inside of you go numb the second that the words left the doctor's mouth. 

No. No this can't be happening. You're hallucinating from the cold. You're dreaming. This isn't real.

Loki turned back to face you. Worry flickered in his eyes but he stayed in character. 

"I'm not sure what you're on about sir," he responded. You prayed that Young would shrug it off and continue with you. You didn't care if he took you back to your cell and never let you out for the rest of eternity. All you wanted in that moment was for him to let Loki go back to make sure the rest of the team was out and safe. 

"Oh drop the act pretty boy," Dr. Young drawled, "You didn't think I couldn't see how you protected (Y/N) for the past two and a half years, did you? It's so blatantly obvious."

"I have no clue what you're talking about," you intervened through gritted teeth.  

"There are eyes everywhere, sweetheart," he reminded you. His words were suffocating. You felt everything inside of you collapse as you looked back on all of the stupid reckless things that you'd done. You should have remembered that you weren't permitted to have feelings, especially for someone else. You should have remembered who you were up against and what you were getting yourself into.  "So, as I was saying, please don't go so soon."

"And what's keeping me here?" more of Loki was leaking into the guard's voice the more impatient he became. 

"Sit down and I'll explain," Young continued. There was nothing short of insanity in his disgusting expression. You hated that face. That face that taunted you for so many years. That face that fooled you into thinking you were safe for so long in his company. He wasted your life and you couldn't take it back now. You wanted to incinerate him, yet something held you back. You and Loki both slowly made your way over to the seats across from where Young stood. You felt the cold metal of the chairs on your legs where the fabric on your suit was torn. All you needed to do was stall for long enough to let everyone out. 

"Isn't is so nice to be back sweetheart?" Dr. Young asked as you fiddled with the metal restraints around your wrists. They were warm enough at this point that they didn't interfere with your powers, but they were still in your way.

"Oh it's just as cold and disgusting as I remember that, though I do remember more constant screaming," you spat back with as much sarcasm as you could manage. You gave him a smile that would send grown men running. 

"Still can't hold your tongue I see. I thought they would have taught you that one at superhero school," Young concluded. You glared at him but you knew he was right. You needed to be able to keep this act up without exploding. 

"So what is it that you would like from us?" Loki interrupted, noticing the heat coming off of your finger tips. 

"Oh well that's really quite simple. In an unfortunate turn of events it seems that I've lost my two best soldiers in my army of the most extraordinary humans on earth. You seem to have brought one of them right back to me as I'd hoped you would do. Spite is quite the motivator I see," Young began to explain. You knew he was taunting you but you kept your powers on a leash as best as you could.

"However, my other favorite seems to be gone for good thanks to our very own hothead here, meaning I'm short an agent and I feel like you owe me (Y/N). So either, you stay and choose one of your friends that I have locked up, or I take you all and choose for myself."

Everything in you stopped. You felt your throat closing as your breathing sped up. The fire inside of you raged, threatening to let loose. Why weren't you letting loose? Was it the threat of security or the lives of your friends? You tried to let the flames emerge from your finger tips but your powers would budge.