Chapter 19: Ice and Fire

~(Y/N)'s POV~

After our encounter with Rolo and his crew we all continued on our way. Soon approaching the Balmera."We'll be arriving at the soon. Liberating these Balmerans from Zarkon's grasp will not be easy." Allura said. "So, what's the plan? We go in there and just—Pow, pow, pow!" Lance imitates a laser gun,"—And free the prisoners?" Keith looked over at the blue paladin,"What was that noise?"

  "Laser guns." Lance stated."No, Lance, I think you mean—" Hunk also imitates a huge laser cannon,"—Pow!" Lance crossed his arms over his chest, "That sounds like fireworks." Next was Pidge's turn to imitate lasers,"Technically, they're more like—ba-choo, ba-choo, ba-choo!" Shiro seems mildly disappointed, but that quickly changes as he speaks."Okay, enough with the bad sound effects. ... Besides, it's more like— blam, blam, blam!" My brother ends up on one knee after his own dramatic imitation.  

"What?" Keith seems confused and the rest of the paladins all voice their own forms of no."Paladins, focus." I let a small chuckle escape my lips as Allura's voice cut through the air. "Besides, we can't just shoot at the Galra. This , it's, like, alive. And from what we've seen, it doesn't look very good." Hunk informed us. "Yes, it's an atrocity what the Galra have been doing to this grand beast. Stealing its Crystals, its very life force, without ever performing the energy rejuvenation ceremonies to heal it." Coran added. "After seeing Shay's people enslaved, it made me realize how bad Zarkon really is. And we're the only ones who can stop him." Hunk stated, seeming confident that this was true.

I couldn't help but smile at the yellow paladin. "Okay, so we can't go into the tunnels guns blazing. Plan B. We figure out how to draw the Galra up to the surface and battle them out there." Shiro stated, everyone seemed to start trying to think. I looked over at Hunk and Coran, "You said they were mining there right?" The two nodded, for a moment seeming confused, "Oh! I get it!" Hunk grinned. Everyone else seemed confused, "Care to explain it to the rest of us." Allura stated. I looked up at the princess, "The Galra have to have rigs and thing set up on  the to help with mining right?" 

"And if we attack all of this big mining stuff on the surface, the Galra troops will have to come out to defend it. Then we beat them up, head down to the tunnels, Voltron saves the day." Hunk continued. I looked over at him and nodded, "Right. It's the best option I can think of with the amount of information we have. It still has risks though." Shiro placed a hand on my shoulder,"But how will we know how many are left down in the tunnels?" He asked. I thought for a moment but I personally couldn't think of anything."We can track the Galra and the Balmerans using Biothermal Life Indicator Point Technology." Allura answered and brings up an image of a drone.

  "Oh, BLIP tech!" Pidge exclaims, the princess looks confused."... It's an acronym?" Pidge says, a little unsure of whether that would be any clearer to the Altean."One of you will need to fly around the Balmera and drop sensors into the shafts on each side." The princess uses a hologram to show us all the plan, "Then we'll be able to see where the Galra and the Balmerans are. There are already sensors built into your suits." Pidge raises her hand,"I can do it. I just modified the with the invisible maze's cloaking ability. I should be able to fly around unnoticed."

Coran brings an image of the Balmera's surface up,"That's their main power generator. If you take that down, it will severely weaken their defenses." He explained."We'll stay in cloud cover and give tactical support. With the Castle's defenses weakened from Sendak's Crystal, we won't be of much help to you." Allura stated."I'll take out the power generator. Keith, Lance, Hunk, you take out these big mining rigs around the area." Shiro instructed. "Yeah! Okay, let's do this! Let's go kick some alien butt!" Hunk cheered.

~Keith's POV~

We all headed towards our lions to prepare for launch. I stood if front of Red about to enter when I heard a voice call out to me, "Keith, wait up!" I looked over my shoulder and notice (Y/N) running towards me. I stopped for a moment and allowed him to reach me, "What's up?" He looked up at with his mismatched eyes, the milky (E/C), shined slightly in the light of the hanger. "I'm coming with you." I sighed, "(Y/N)-"

"Not taking no for an answer Keith! How many times do I have to say it, because I'll repeat it until you understand," He place a hand on his chest, his eyes were more determined then I had ever seen them before, "I'm your co-pilot! I'll always be there to watch your back, so let me do that now." I sighed, but a smiled and shook my head, "Fine, hurry up and get in." (Y/N) grinned and ran inside of Red, I followed closely behind. 

  "You think the Balmerans will have a parade for us after we've freed everybody?" Lance asked over communications. I opened a video transmission with Lance,"It's not about the glory, Lance. It's about freeing prisoners from ." I rolled my eyes."No, I know. I know. But still. When they—" The blue lion launches, causing Lance to jolt forward. (Y/N) laughed quietly behind me as we took off towards the Balmera, the second we got close, the Galra structures started to fire at us.

"This is it. Get your heads in the game. Remember, the is a living creature. Make sure you pinpoint only the Galra installations and not its surface." Shiro stated as we initiated the plan. "Initiating cloak." Pidge breaks away from the rest of us, Hunk and Lance begin to destroy the Galra weapons. I notice that Shiro's lion forms a jaw blade and takes the power generator. "Nice one Shiro!" (Y/N) cheered.  "All sensors delivered." Pidge said as she delivered the final device.

A holographic map of the Balmera appears showing all lifeforms. I didn't have enough time to look at it, "Keith, look out!" (Y/N) yelled. I looked at in time to notice a massive laser cannon firing at us. I manged to dodge and end up doing something I didn't even know Red could do. I fired a heat ray at the cannon's tower, melting through it."Whoa! Did you guys just see that? I got fire power!" I cheered, I couldn't see it, but (Y/N) smiled softly down at me.  "Hey! I want that!" Lance called out.

We finally noticed that the tower began to fall toward the surface, "Oh, no!" I started to panic a little, not knowing what I could do to stop it."Hey, we can't let this thing hurt the Balmera!" Hunk sound worried as he struggles to keep the tower up right. "I think my Lion knows what to do!" Lance flew towards the tower as Blue fired at the tower. The tower freezes in place, allowing Hunk to move, "Ha-Aw, snap! These rays are super cool, just like me!"

  "Great job, team!" Shiro called. "Yeah Lance! Good job!" (Y/N) cheered before leaning down beside me, "You should probably be careful with yours though it was awesome." I smiled a little and nodded, my cheeks heating up slightly. As we waited for the troops to enter the scene, but none did.

"Where are all the troops? They're not coming to the surface." 

________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! Been awhile.

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. Life has been a little hectic. With assessments all due by Tuesday this week, lack of motivation to do anything and the fact that I turned sixteen on the seventh and the stuff I was doing for that I've been busy.

Updates may be a little late for the next week, but after that holidays are coming up so I should be able to do more then.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy the story so far and if you have any questions or suggestions be sure to leave a comment. Have a good life.

Kiren 

.