I missed when his eyes shut and flicked his bottom lip, feeling disgruntled. Fuck.

Back in the kitchen, Lillian was finishing my sandwich between her teeth as she watched her sister put away a few things she went shopping for. "Who did you adopt this time?"

Momma Beer clicked her tongue. "If you're so tired of me bring kids home, why don't you move?" Lillian went dead silent. It made Beer laugh. "Oh, I'm kidding." She went to her and placed a kiss on her cheek. "You know it would hurt me to see you leave," she cooed and went back to putting the stuff away. Lillian rolled her eyes.

"With this many kids," she muttered. "I bet you wouldn't notice."

"After doing a head count, of course I would." Beer smiled reassuringly. With Lillian's deadpan look, Beer giggled. "Oh, smile for a change." She patted her shoulder and exited the kitchen to the front foyer where Oscar and I were in our silent condition.

"Oh, am I interpreting something?" In sync, we shook our heads. Her shoulders slumped. "Aw, man." Oscar and I glanced scandalized looks. "Anyway!" Our necks locked back into place. "Bella, we tried calling you, but you didn't answer."

I rose my brow at her. "Who's we?"

"Me and Gloria," she said to matter of factly like I was supposed to know who. I didn't even know Gloria already had my new phone number. How did she... Reading my face expression, Beer replied, "I gave it to her, of course."

Of course she did.

"I..." I looked away in thought. "I must have left it upstairs when I took a nap. Sorry."

"Ah, no worries." She waved a fond hand. "It's just like my kids. They do carry their phones around with them like some magnet stuck to their hands. The nerve of kids nowadays." Her hands held her hips, clicked her tongue thoughtfully. "We have a few hours before the kids come home! Why don't we get wild in the fun house?"

The fun house must have been the...Oh, no. Not that place! Oh, no! No way was I going in there. Yes, I was living here, but for as Iong as I could resist it, I wasn't going in there. Exploring it for the first time took my breath away. Doing it again would definitely kill me. That place and the backyard indefinitely!

But Oscar not knowing was down for it. "Sure," he quipped and nudged me before following Beer. "Let's go get wIIIld."

The way he said that made my heart skip a few beats once again like the oxygen traveling to my brain almost failed. For him to be here for the first time, he showed no interest of emotion. Maybe he's seen a house like this before or something. Maybe he lived in one just like it or in something better. Wait till he sees the rest of the house. He'll be amazed for sure. He might need an ambulance. Seeing the foyer was no big deal, I guess. Wait until he sees the barn. The Fun House I guess they called it.

After Momma Beer changed me into a grey t-shirt and gym shorts, tying my hair into a high bun and Oscar into one of Axel's sleeveless Batman logo shirts and basketball shorts and the right shoes, we headed to the Fun House. Beer, in a white sports bra and matching shorts with her hair in two back ponytails, lead us inside. Oscar helped with sliding open the barn door. Soon as the light from the outside made it visible inside, his eyes went wide like the moon itself. He couldn't even finish helping us with the door. He disappeared into his own amazed trance.

"This place has everything," he said breathlessly. He made sure he saw every last inch of the place. A gasp escaped from him when he saw the climbing wall. "Y'all even got the..." His head snapped to other sight. Another gasp. "No way! A boxing...look at the dummies." He went to one and socked it's leather arm. Oscar chortled. Next he went to the balance beams. "Wow!" He pushed himself up onto the 16ft one without a grunt. "Look, ma! I'm a standing Humpty Dumpty."

I started laughing. Whㅡhoa.

"Be careful, Oscar. I don't want your mama killing me for killing you on my watch." Momma Beer joined him at the beam, me timidly following close behind her. We watched him. Oscar scoffed.

"I won't make you accountable, Ms. Spamily."

"Oscar, call me Beer if you don't want me calling you Mr. Boyce."

"Please, that's my dad's name." He carefully jumped down from the beam using his arms to help him down. He sighed and dusted his hands off.

"Okay, then," Beer giggled. Oscar then gazed at me, excitement pooling in his eyes.

"Wanna try the foam pit?" The question took me aback. Uh, did I? I wasn't really ready for any of this just yet. Seeing my hesitation, he placed a hand of my shoulder. I leaped slightly. "Come on, it won't be so bad."

"Well, I guess so. I haven't..."

Beer clapped her excitement before I got to finish. "Go try it now!" She pushed us towards it. "Go, go, go, go!" Oscar took me by the hand and rushed us over to the pit. We went up the stairs that lead up to the top foyer of the pit. As I guessed from the beginning, there was indeed two couches up here.

As we edged closer to the edge of the pit, I felt my heart beat rapidly against my chest. Ohhh, God. How high we seem to be. We were high enough for my fear of heights to kick in. Jesus. I started to breathe heavily. Beside me, Oscar was moving and ready. The adrenaline pumped through his system.

"On three," Beer advised from below, her voice in a slight shout from how high we were. "Ready?!"

Ready to go Oscar whooped his reply. "On guard!"

Not so ready timid me announced, "ㅡNuh-huh!"

Come on, Bella. It's a pool of foam, not snakes! How bad could it be? You won't know until you try it! Stop being so scared, my inner self shouted at me for the first time in 17 years. I didn't know how to feel. I looked down into the pit and gasped. Oh fuck! That was some jump.

An arm wrapped over my waist I realized in my exploding state. Blinking, I looked over at him. Oscar was close at my side, keeping me upright. Did I almost tumble over? Was I about to faint?

"You're okay," he whispered close in my ear, his hot breath fanning my ear, traveling down into it. I nodded and gave him a reassuringly smile.

"I'm okay. It's just...heights." Did I really just admit that? I never really admit anything to anyone anymore! They didn't care when I did. It went into one ear and traveled out the other.

"On a count of three, we'll make that go away, okay?" he assured me with a smile. I nodded again and he reached for my hand. I let him hold it as he took us a couple steps back. He looked at me for permission. "Ready?"

I took a deep breath and licked my lips. I was still nervous but this was as ready as I was going to get. "Yes, I'm ready."

"You're what?" He cocked his head as if he didn't hear me.

"Um, I'm ready," I muttered feeling very embarrassed for having to repeat myself and on the other hand, holding his hand was embarrassing enough.

"I can't hear you."

Seriously?! "I'm ready," I mutter-hissed a little more louder. Oscar's face twisted.

"What damn language is that?"

I rolled my eyes. So, he's going to play that game, is he? Then I'm notㅡ

Next thing I knew, I'm being hurled forward in a dash. When I realized why, I freaked.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait! Oscar! I'm notㅡAaahhhh!" We plummeted down against gravity and landed with no thud into the pool of foam.

🌺🌌🌺

These aren't cliffhangers 😂😂 because I usually publish more than one chapter so don't worry. Just slide, glid or swipe for the continent  story. I hoped you enjoyed the chapter of 28.

x   Your Writer, B.K