Prologue

A/N: I've changed the story to only Lauren's POV. Make sure you reread all the chapters I'll be posting from now on. The old ones will be deleted as a new one is posted.

Enjoy reading, and feedback, votes and such are welcomed.

**

It was a rather gray afternoon in Miami. The usual blue and cloudless sky was now dull-looking, and people were expecting the rain to drizzle down any second now.

But if anyone had a care for the weather, it was not Lauren Jauregui. She sat at a table in a little restaurant, Da Giovanni, near the beach, absentmindedly tapping away on her phone as she sat waiting.

"May I take your order, please?"

Lauren was startled by the loud voice, and she glanced up to a waitress, who was clutching her notepad as if she would not live without it. She was wearing the restaurant uniform, black trousers and a white button-up shirt. Today, the young girl's soft brown hair was pulled back into a high ponytail, giving every customer a clear view on her pretty face. Her make-up was done subtly so that her chocolate brown eyes stood out. Camila. She served Lauren almost every time she dined here.

"Just a water, please." Lauren ordered curtly. As soon as she had said it, her eyes were back to her phone so she could continue reading the e-mail she had opened.

She missed Camila's eyeroll.

Lauren came here for lunch every day, the only exception being if she had to have lunch alone, or had a meeting elsewhere.

She didn't remember what had drawn her to the place, she only knew she had discovered it six months ago and it had stayed by her.

Lauren smiled slightly as her two best friends – and colleagues – joined her for lunch. They always took the time to have lunch together, even though they saw each other at work almost all the time.

"How are you today?" Normani, the ebony beauty of their little band of friends, asked the other two.

"I'm well." Lauren replied rather curtly. Dinah, tall and Polynesian, frowned as Lauren barely looked up from her cellphone.

"No work during lunch, Lauser, you know that," She reprimanded softly, satisfied when the brunette complied.

"I just really need to find a singer who writes their own ballads... And good ballads, at that." The green-eyed woman sighed.

"As your manager, I still forbid you to speak about work during your break."

"Fine, DJ, but I'm still your boss." Lauren smirked at Dinah, and Normani chuckled lightly at their interaction.

They ordered their food, paying little attention to their surroundings, talking about mundane things. They even got so far to reminiscing their college days, where they met.

They met sometime along the first semester at NYU, Lauren taking on a business major, just as Dinah. It was pure coincidence that they stumbled upon Normani, who took on dance as a major. They got along very well, bonding over music and tv shows.

It was a given that Lauren would follow into her father's footsteps and found a record label. Mike Jauregui owned one of the most prestigious record labels in the United States. But Lauren felt somewhat uncomfortable with the whole music industry, until she had a chance to hire both Dinah Jane Hansen, as her manager, and Normani Kordei Hamilton, as head of choreography.