54. comfort

Ella went to Mia's apartment first. Mia lived with her husband in a small apartment near Ella, it was the first place she thought of.

"Ella? Are you alright?" Mia opened the door in her pyjamas, looking extremely tired.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to disturb you but I didn't know what else to do." She cried, Mia pulled her indoors and gave her a hug.

"What happened?" She asked, Ella was hysterical and just cried into her.

"I'm so sorry, I bring so much drama to your life." Ella cried, Mia shuffled over to the sofa and sat down on it. she squeezed Ella tightly and stroked her hair.

"Ella, please tell me what happened" Mia begged. "Stanley baby, can you get Ella a cup of tea?" She asked her husband who was stood in the doorway confused. He did as he was told and Mia tried to calm Ella down.

"I had a fight with Milo and it got a bit out of hand." Ella whispered, Mia jumped to conclusions and pushed Ella away before holding her face to look at her properly. Ella winced when she touched her face so she pulled her hand away and saw the bruise that was starting to form.

"Oh my god, did he hit you?" Mia felt sick, she held this fragile little girl in her hands and started to cry with her. "Ella" She hugged her tightly, wanting to protect her from the world.

Stanley put the tea on the coffee table, still confused to why Ella was crying and now why his wife was crying.

"Mia?" He asked, standing over the two girls. Mia wiped her tears and smiled up at him.

"Thank you. I'm okay babe, I'm just going to set up Ella in the spare bedroom for the night." He nodded and walked back into their bedroom. "Elle honey, are you okay?" She asked, Ella sat back on the sofa and wiped her eyes. Mia passed her the tea and she smiled to thank her.

"He has a temper, I always knew that. And I was agitating him, I was pushing him." She breathed out, Mia shook her head.

"You don't deserve to be hit Ella, if that's what you're thinking" she crossed her legs on the sofa and rested her head on the back of it.

"I was going to forgive him. I feel like hitting him sometimes too, I get it. We push each other's buttons and I understood but when he asked me..." she stopped and sipped her tea, not wanting to repeat his words.

"What did he ask you?" Mia was confused but mostly intrigued.

"He asked me whether Timothée had ever hit me" she stared Mia in the eyes as she spoke. Mia didn't reply, she stared back at her and gulped.

"Why would he ask that?" Mia couldn't think of a single reason why someone would ask that. Ella knew exactly why.

"Because he's an insecure child. He compares himself to Timmy, I see it all the time." Ella shook her head in disgust.

"He thinks you still love Timmy." Mia concluded, Ella just looked down at her tea.

"I get it. It hurts knowing the person you love loves someone else but he just won't let go of it. He won't let me fall out of love with Timmy because he's constantly comparing himself to him and asking questions about him." Ella took a big gulp of her tea and shook her head. "It's my fault really. I'm driving him insane." She shrugged.

"It is not your fault. Stop it." Mia told her off. "You didn't tell him to hit you so he shouldn't of done it."

"It's been a long eight months Mia." Ella sighed. Mia nodded.

"I know baby." She stroked her hair. "Let's get you some clothes so you can get some sleep." She suggested. Ella downed her tea and nodded.

"I'm gonna call Lexie." She announced when they got up. Mia nodded and went to get some clothes. Ella walked into their spare bedroom and dialled Lexie's number.