14 ❀ Cool your jets

Start from the beginning

     My foot pops right out, shoving my converse shoe into Ezra's big forehead and trying to push him back to the ground where he belongs. He lets out an infuriated snarl and grabs by ankle in a vise like grip, trying and succeeding in moving it out of his path.

     I kick at him frantically while I maintain a death grip on my book and the trunk of the tree. Ezra relentlessly tries to clamber up towards me. I fight like a crazy person.

     "Enough of this, woman!" He shouts, and by now he's a branch underneath me. His fingers cling to my foot and rip it down towards him. I let out a shriek as a pang of agony shoots through my rib cage and up through my neck. Ouch.

     Tears prick my eyes and I swing out wildly, my mind screaming at me to get away from the pain. I suddenly picture Nathan, and I know he would hurt me, I'm utterly defenseless. I scream as more pain assails me. I'm going to die. This is the end.

     Flailing pointlessly drives me further into my panic, I can't escape. I can't get away. He's going to finish his job this time.

     There is an overwhelming warmth completely enveloping me now, as if it's always meant to be this way for the rest of eternity. My breath starts to slow rhythmically, my heart beat going back to normal.

Then there's the realization of the arms tightly secured around me, and the soft sound of shushing filling my ear.

     My body is being rocked back and forth, and I become keenly aware of a spicy aroma.

     Ezra.

     He holds me close as he sits on a wide tree limb, his form seems to radiate heat that seeps into me like an electric blanket.

     I pull away slightly to peek up at my destined mate and see the heated glare plastered to his features, but more than anything he seems concerned. He appears to see straight into my very soul as we stare at each other, and Ezra's hand comes up to brush away tears I hadn't realized escaped to trail down my face.

     As his fingertips brush my skin, the warmth travels across my pores. My hair stands on end at the wonderful prickling sensation.

     "Who did this to you?" He asks me, but this question isn't like the other ones before. It's tender and merciful, everything a mate should be.

     Everything he hasn't been to me so far.

     I sniffle as I feel snot begin its descent down my nostril, using my sleeve to wipe at it without any remorse or embarrassment. I honestly don't care what he thinks of me anymore because there isn't anything I can do to get him to like me at this point.

     Shifting further from him, I glance away. I can't get caught up in his yellow eyes, because I'm petrified I'm going to get lost in their depths.

     "I did this to myself." I let out after a short pause. Ezra's face lifts in surprise before twisting in distaste.

     "Klepto, you know what I mean." He sighs, leaning back against the enormous tree, "I need to know who attacked you. This is important. Tell me. Now."

     I reer back in surprise, completely shell shocked. Why does he care so much? As my mind reels, trying to find an answer it suddenly hits me.

     Mate instincts.

     The animal side of Ezra's soul is wanting to deal out some revenge for hurting his mate, a hard notion to resist, but it's somewhat programmed into all of us, even those with more control.

     It doesn't even matter if he likes me or wants me, it will still be an instinct that snaps into place when he sees me hurt. As soon as he deals with it he'll go back to hating me.