Chapter 19

“So what did you guys do?” a guy waggled his eyebrows at me in a suggestive manner.

     “Nothing that you need to know about,”  I said cooly to him, giving a seductive smile and a wink before I sauntered off. I felt great! This party was the best thing that had ever happened to me – I felt so different… like me, but a better version. I didn’t know what was causing me to act like this, if it was the atmosphere, or everyone being crazy or what. It just felt like I had been cooped up and this was my release.

     I took another drink, not even worrying what it was, but I downed it in a flash and before I knew it, I was in the middle of the dancefloor, whirling around and around. I don’t know how many drinks I had had after a while, I was everywhere, posing for cameras, feeling like a rockstar. I was dancing with everyone, flurrying around everywhere, staring up at the ceiling in awe. It was like the roof was invisible and I could see every twinkling star in the sky. There was Neptune, Jupiter, Pluto, I even saw the sun! Could you imagine? Seeing the sun at night? I giggled to myself at the thought. I don’t know how long I had been staring at space, it could have been hours! But I didn’t care. The pretty sparkling stars were so amazing, I couldn’t look away. I could name every star after me and my friends. Alyssa, Tristan, Cassie, Liz, Ebony, Victoria, James-

     “Alyssa?!”

     I came down from space and saw a worried Tristan looking at me. “You okay? I’ve been looking for you everywhere!”

     I looked back up to the roof, but the stars were gone. My night sky had been replaced with white disco lights dancing over the ceiling in a flurry.

     “I’ve been here. Y-You don’t need to wo-hic-worry about me.”

     “You’re drunk,” Tristan stated, looking concerned. “How much did you have to drink?”

     “Drink?” I asked. “I’ve been –hic- dancinnggg,” I giggled. The words felt strange on my tongue, like I was speaking a different language. Maybe I was but I just didn’t know. “You wanna d-danccee with me?”

     Tristan shook his head, his lips pressed together so they looked like a thin white line. Maybe I could do that with my lips. I tried, but I couldn’t get them to be flat. My lips felt like squiggly lines.

     “We need to get you back to my place.”

     “But the night is young!” I slurred, not wanting Tristan to take me away from this magical party. “Th-there is soo much to d-hic-do!”

     Tristan grabbed my arm and pulled me away. “No!” I hiccupped. “The party is a-alive, don’t take me away!” I protested, tugging at him arm.

    “We’re going home,” Tristan said, wrapping his arm around me and pulling me outside. “You need to rest.”

     Rest. Rest. His words echoed around my head like they were alive. The thought of rest made me snuggle into Tristan to get more warm. “Mmm… Res-rest.”

     I walked with Tristan for a while, feeling like I was on a mission. Maybe it was a mission to see how far we could walk. Maybe we were walking to a desert with white sand that looked like snow. Would it be hot? I wondered, snuggling into Tristan more. Maybe Tristan could rescue me from the desert with the white sand.

     “We’re home.”

     I looked up to see Tristan’s cottage with the big sunflowers on his lawn. It reminded me of Jack And The Bean Stalk. But in my case it could be Alyssa and the sunflower stalk. I giggled at the thought of climbing up to the top of the sunflower. There would be lots of sun shining on the sunflower. I could have a picnic at the top of the sunflower with big juicy blackberries and share them with the mice and ladybirds that had joined us for the picnic. Or was it dinner party? I couldn’t remember.

     I followed Tristan up his path humming a song under my breath. I was making the words up in my head as I went along. He quietly unlocked the door and we walked inside.

     “You need to be quiet.” Tristan whispered. “It’s late.”

     “Mom never lets me stay up late,” I mumbled. “I have to –hic- go to bed at six – o’clo-clock.”

     Tristan grimly nodded and took me into a room. It must have been his room. “Stay,” He motioned to me.

     “Suurreeee,” I slurred, turning my back to him and walked over to his wall which was a dark grey. It was like a big rocky mountain. I wondered if you could climb a rocky mountain bedroom wall. Only if you were Spiderman, I told myself.

     Tristan was quickly back with my sleeping bag and he set it on his bed which I felt the urge to jump on.

     He motioned to his bed. “You can sleep there tonight,” he said in a hushed tone, “I’ll be in the lounge if you need me.”

     I nodded, feeling dazed . He was talking fast, almost like a chipmunk. I sleepily dragged myself into his bed, not bothering about changing or the sleeping bag and just jumped in under his covers which smelled comfortably of Tristan. I snuggled under the covers, greeting Tristan’s spicy smell. I wondered why he smelt of citrus and spice. Maybe he baked with those things or maybe he had special cologne. I quickly fell asleep, greeting the darkness with open arms.