"Why are we here Kai?" I ask him, sighing. 

Kai peers up at me, with a glint in his eye. "Well, you said you were hungr--"

Irritated, I cut him off. "No, not here here, just here. Why am I hanging out with you? Even though you like winding me up, you can't like winding me up that much that you would want to spend time with me. Plus, you know I hate your existence. I'm not fun company."

Kai opens his mouth to deny my last comment but I beat him to it. 

"What I mean by that is you will get bored of winding me up eventually."

Kai shakes his head. "I doubt that," he mutters. "And I do like spending time with you." 

My eyes narrow but I don't say anything. 

Could he have asked me for another reason? What if Kai...liked me and wanted to annoy me for attention? That's what Xavier did with Anna and it worked. It's possible. 

"What if I said I didn't want to spend time with you?" I ask him, unconsciously leaning into the table. I eagerly await his answer. 

"Well," he clears his throat, also leaning in closer. "I don't believe you. A part of you feels something for me and I know that you know it. You feel that connection right? Because I sure do." 

I snort, slumping back in my seat. As if I would feel anything other than hate for Kai. "You wish." 

Kai mimics my action and regards me with hooded eyes. He doesn't believe what I'm saying and is enjoying my reaction. My denial. 

"Of course you don't blondie, of course, you don't believe me," Kai says, calmly. Maybe, a bit too calmly. "But you will admit it to yourself. I know you will." 

After that, silence falls upon us. Funny how it does, since all of our interactions have been us talking--arguing. And now that we have nothing to say to each other, it is almost...nice. The atmosphere between us now is calm and comfortable. Something I never thought I would say. 

***

"I know you enjoyed today," Kai remarks, standing outside of my room. After eating, we wandered around the city for a while until I told him I was knackered and needed to go back home. Kai then insisted to walk me back. What a gentleman. 

The journey involved us talking about TV shows. Well, we argued most of the way in which is the best. But I liked it--weird. 

"Eh," I shrug my shoulders. "It could have gone worse I suppose." 

"I'll take that." 

Nobody says anything then. I don't really know what to say. Thank you? But then again, it's not like it was a date. Thanks for his company? Not really either since I didn't want his company in the first place.

"Uh," I drawl. "Bye?" 

I want to curse that my goodbye sounded like a question. He could misinterpret it and think I wanted something else to say. And now I'm reading too much into this. Wonderful. 

I turn around to open my door when arms grabs my shoulders, stopping me. Kai slowly turns me around and does the unthinkable. 

He kisses me. 

My eyes bug out of my sockets in shock but then slowly flutter closed. His mouth mushes against mine and sends waves of pleasure throughout my body. The kiss isn't gentle. It's desperate and hard. 

A strangled moan reaches my ears and I realize it came from the back of Kai's throat. All I can think is: damn, that was hot.

All too soon, we both part, panting. Kai captures my eyes and searches them for something. 

"Bye," he breathes and dashes off. With a pounding heart, I stare at the place he just was thinking one thing. What just happened? 

Why did he kiss me? 

Why did I like it? 

And why do I want more? 

{A/N: Thank you SO much cityheist for this amazing Chasing Cora cover! Love it!!! }