Chapter 8

The few hours I get to spend at the junkyard go by swiftly. I sit in the back of a beat-up dodge and do my homework for a few measly minutes. The rest of the time I spend napping and reading. I mostly sleep and catch up on all of the hours I've lost.

When I wake up from my nap, I glance at my watch, 2:50, Harry will be here soon. I look around and make sure I don't see his truck yet and slide up my sleeve to unwrap my broken wrist.

It's all bruised and purple. I sigh. Great; I'm not going to be able to use this for at least another week or two. I won't wait any longer than that.

I use my right hand and run it across my cheek where my father slapped me.

No pain.

That's good. I move my hair back to cover my cheek just as I hear the sound of a car coming down the gravel road.

I stand and grab my things.

The car comes around the corner and I frown, that's not Harry's car. I look at the driver and groan.

Nick. How in the world did he get out of prison?

Wonderful, that’s just what I need, another guy bothering me.

He sees me and stops the car, turns it off, and gets out.

"What are you doin' here?" He walks over to me.

"Just hanging out."

"By yourself?"

"Yep."

"Well that's not much fun." He grins.

I shrug, "It is for me."

He leans forward and whispers, "Depends on what you do."

I wrinkle my nose, "Okay, I am not in the mood for you."

He laughs and motions for me to sit down next to him in the back of the van.

I sigh and sit down. I'm not in the mood to talk to Nick with all his joking around and idiocy.

I frown, "How did you get out of prison?"

"Oh, they let me go with a warning, took the phone back and told me next time I would get sent to 'Juvie'."

"Oh,"I had forgotten how young Nick was. Seventeen.

"So was he mad?"

"Hmm…?"I come back to the present.

"Your dad….was he mad?"

"Oh, um, he wasn't thrilled."

He snorts, "Understatement of the century. Come on, you and I both know he has a temper."

'Yeah but you don't know how it really is,' I want to tell him. But I can't and won't. He doesn't need to know about any of that. No one does or ever will.

I don't answer and am relieved when Harry's truck pulls up next to Nick's car. He smiles at me but suddenly frowns when he sees Nick.

What's up with that?

"Who's that?" Nick's voice asks as we both stand.

I wave him off, "Just some random guy."

He raises his eyebrows.

"I needed a ride okay?"

"Well you could've called me."

"No cell phone, remember?"

He groans, "Right, I forgot, your dad will let other people and himself have nice things, but when it comes to you, you get nothing."

I straighten offended and walk towards Harry's truck, leaving Nick behind and bewildered.

"So it’s Jessie, huh?"

We're driving out of the junkyard; me all nice and warm and Harry….well I don't know what Harry is.             

"Yeah," I say, as I lean my head against his truck window. My long brown curls fall back and I tuck it behind my ear.

Harry looks over at me and suddenly slams the brakes, stopping in the middle of the gravel.

"What the hell did you do that for?" I turn and glare at him. I was thankful that I happened to be wearing my seat belt and enraged that he would do such a stupid thing.

He unbuckles, putting the car in park, and leans towards me, raising his hand near my face. I instantly back up against the door as far away as possible and out of impulse close my eyes, and wait for the blow to come.

"Who did this to you?"

I frown, and open my eyes. His hand gently touches my cheek where my father slapped me. I bristle, and instantly want to slap his hand away, but I can't make myself do it. Something makes me leave it there.

I flip down the mirror in the visor and look at my cheek. Bruised and purple. Oh shit.

I think fast, "Oh that," I wave it off like it's nothing, careful to use my right hand, "I tripped and fell yesterday and hit the side of my dresser in my room. It's no biggie."

Harry frowns, "Really?" he looks like he doesn't believe me.

"Yeah," I say feigning innocence and surprise, "haven't you ever done that before?"

He pulls back his hand and clears his throat, running his hand through his hair.

"Sorry, I just," he gives me an embarrassed look; "it looks like a punch or slap mark."

He puts the car back in gear and I give him directions back to my house.

He doesn't bring up my cheek again.

I inwardly chastise myself for not bothering to look in the mirror this morning. Small mistakes like that could blow everything.

                I will have to be more careful from now on.

HI GUYS! :D How are you, and what do you think so far?? Trust me, I'm just getting started ;D Sooooo, I won't be updating until this gets at least 5 votes! >:D  So, guess if you want it, you're gonna have to spread the word to people and make them read it too! MWAHAHA >:D Okay, I be done for now. Can't wait till i can update again!(: