Chapter Four

Dearest Y/N,

I'm writing this as a goodbye letter to you. Before a was sent into a group fight for support, I went to one of those people who have future-telling quirks. He told me that I'd die that very same day. Which was today, if you couldn't tell.

It was the consequence of what I did today. I presume that you'll be very disappointed when you learn what I did.

Today, as I was making my way into battle, I was pulled into that creepy alleyway that we always point out when we pass it. The person who pulled me in was a crazy man. He tried to kill me, and I went into some kind of a psychotic bloodthirsty mode and killed him with a blow to the head.

I panicked and went to my office after I washed away the blood to prevent anyone from knowing. I didn't tell anyone, but a bird flew by. He saw what I'd done, and he made a nest outside. He sang so loud, sang so clear, I was afraid everyone else would hear. So I invited him in, just to reason with him. And I promised I'd never do it again.

But he sang louder and louder inside my office, and I couldn't get him out, and I flew into that same psychotic rage. I trapped him under a cardboard box, and I'd stepped on it to make it stop. I picked up the bird and I said to him, "that's the last time you'll ever sing," then I held him down and broke his neck. I taught him a lesson he wouldn't forget. I kicked him underneath my desk and worked until they sent mom and I into a fight as backup.

While I was healing a little girl, who looked a tiny bit like you. A different villain than whoever the heroes were fighting stabbed my arm and was forced into a fight.

I was so caught up in not dying that I didn't notice that he put the knife in my side and ran away. I'm so sorry that I didn't keep my promise. I'm sorry that I killed a bird and a human. I'm sorry for what I'm probably putting you through. Don't make the same mistakes I made. Be the best person you can be and become a great hero! I'll be protecting you, from wherever I'll be.

Sincerest of sign-offs,

Hīru Ōtā.

You hid inside your room as you read and re-read the letter over and over. You couldn't understand. Hīru wouldn't hurt someone like that. Not the kind, good, helping-old-ladies-across- the-street Hīru you knew.

You didn't know how to deal with this. A farewell letter from your older brother, a dead older brother, and a hospitalized mother. It was so much to accept, this new life in the fields, your life being cruel, and your powerful quirk with no one to teach you the complications of the healing part.

But you would obey Hīru's final request. He was your mentor and idol, friend and foe. But he was a brother, more than anything. You would follow in his footsteps, and avoid his bloody and gruesome path. No matter how much you wanted to cry and cry and cry, you had to push past that obstacle, just like Hīru would've wanted for you. You would make him proud, wherever he ended up.

You stepped outside to be alone with your thoughts. It was a new, beautiful, day. Birds were singing, flowers were blooming. Wildlife was all around you, acting as a pillar of healing for your soul. You cracked a small smile, letting your heart just take it in. You hadn't given yourself a chance to look at the scenery, since the week you'd arrived. And because you were going to be there for five years, you thought, why not?

There was a wide, wood chip laden path that lead into the forest nearby. You had nothing better to do than mourn, so you felt your legs moving to go and see where it would end up.

The path was undisturbed, as if not a soul had used it or walked on it for decades. You shrugged dismissively and proceeded onward, a bottle of water to use as a defense, just in case. There was no more taking chances. No one knows what could be lurking in the shadows.

You followed the path of wood chips until it became a mossy stone one. Curious of where the path would lead, you started to run, and ended up in a quiet, calm clearing, with a lone, injured fawn sitting in the center. It was crying out in pain, seeming to have hurt its leg tripping over a root near the surface.

You glanced down at your left palm, which was surrounded with green-blue orbs of light. It hasn't done that before . . . maybe I should try to heal it? You thought as you slowly approached, trying your best not to scare or hurt the fawn anymore. It twitched, but it had a knowing look in its eyes that knew your motives.

You placed your palm on the fawn's leg and closed your eyes, breathing in and out as you willed your hand to heal the poor fawn's injuries. You felt the warm feeling of healing energy course through your veins and fill you with a the feeling that a mother feels when she gives birth to her child; a fierce instinct to protect; the love of a mother stronger than a whole pride of lions. You opened your eyes to see the same green-blue orbs that had circled your palm a few minutes earlier.

Suddenly, you saw every single thing that fawn saw up until this point. Seeing her mother for the very first time, being presented to her tribe of deer, praised by other fawns for being the fastest runner. Everything until she tripped on a root and broke her leg. You were snapped back to reality by what you thought was a hand on your shoulder, but looking up no one was there.

It was just you and the fawn,

In the middle of a clearing,

At sunset.