Chapter Three

You and Akarui were completely exhausted from Akarui's intense training session, and decided to sit inside and watch television while snuggled up in blankets.

Akarui had just finished baking some cookies and was bringing them into the room for the two of you to eat. As if on cue, the news came on. The words "BREAKING NEWS: NOT FOR THE YOUNG TO SEE" flashed on screen. Akarui shot you a look, and you shrugged because - it couldn't be that bad.

Oh, you couldn't have been more wrong.

Two pictures of dead bodies - one male, one female - hovered in the top corners, so mutilated that they were hardly recognizable. But you knew their faces from a mile away. You knew the male too well. Even the female could be recognized by you.

It was your mother and Hīru.

The very same Hīru who had made that promise to come back home when he was finished with his work.

"This is truly a sad day for all people. Today, heroes Golden Heart and Reparia were found horribly mutilated and almost dead in a secluded alleyway. The ambulance was able to save the healing hero, Reparia, but they were unfortunately unable to help the shielding hero, Golden Heart. We have received reports from police officers that he had a letter in his pocket that was addressed to his little sister, Y/N Ōtā. They did not read it and will give it and his body to his family so he can be properly buried." A woman in black attire said to the camera.

Tears filled your eyes as you heard her words. She looked sad, but her voice wasn't sorrowful at all. She sounded like a robot, unable to feel emotion. You got up from your seat near the television and stood by the door. You were on the verge of tears and yet . . . you didn't believe it. He couldn't be dead, the only thing left behind being a letter. One that he told the police officers and doctors to specifically give to you. It couldn't be real. You wanted to wake up from this horrible dream and have a chat with Hīru. There was so much more that you had to learn, so much more that Hīru had to teach. It was an illusion. A sick and twisted prank pulled by the authorities. You couldn't process it. You couldn't understand.

He promised.

Soon enough, Akarui came after you, giving you a comforting hug and apologizing over and over. It was almost pitiful. But you were too busy wallowing in all of your built-up pain and this newfound suffering to care about what she was saying. Akarui didn't care. If she did, she would've shown it to you throughout your fifteen years of living. You shoved her away, in anger.

Akarui was shocked. There was a mix of sadness and fury in your eyes, and a the thick shield of tears acted as a mirror. Akarui could see her reflection in your eyes. But Akarui didn't have time to see her face, as you broke into tears and buried your face in her yellow raincoat.

The tears on your face splashed on the ground, making a puddle as you continued wailing. Akarui just let you cry, letting you get it all out. Finally, the police arrived, with a coffin, a hospital address, and the letter. A few heroes were with the police as well, probably to comfort you and the rest of your family. The police were discussing funeral matters with your father and sister, so you left the scene to sit alone on a bench on the engawa.

A young woman with long black hair and light blue eyes sat next to you. She was wearing a white woolen sweater and long black leggings to keep her body warm. Although she wasn't wearing her costume, you recognized her, she was a family friend after all. The freakishly popular eighteen plus only hero - Midnight.

Despite being a hero who had no shame, Midnight was a wonderful woman and a nice lady to talk to if you were feeling down. She always listened to the troubles of the other people around her, and a kind and thoughtful person. But she could be a bit sadistic or perverted sometimes. Not around the children though. Never around the children.

"Hi, Ms. Kayama." You said, unwilling to look up as you spoke. She sighed, patting your head and stroking your hair to comfort you.

"Y/N, I'm going to be very straightforward with you." The blue-eyed woman put her hands in her lap. "I know exactly how you're feeling. To lose someone that's so close to you. The person who accepted your flaws and was your teacher for practically everything." Midnight nodded to herself, like she was doing a self-evaluation. "When I was a little girl, like you, my older sister was killed by a villain who entered the houses of innocent people and murdered them and their families. He killed her, my brothers and my parents, while I was hiding in a closet. I made him pass out with my quirk, but nothing could take away my memories of her screams and the strong scent of their blood on his clothing. That's when I knew that I had to become a hero . . . not for her, or myself, but for the sake of humanity and all the people who had fallen victim to lowly people like that. I know you're angry and sad, and you aren't listening, but I hope that you keep that in mind."

You cast a regretful glance at Midnight as she walked away, going to discuss what to do with Hīru and his legacy. As Midnight turned the corner, you noticed the white, sealed envelope on the bench where she was sitting. You picked it up, certain it was the one addressed to you. You carefully opened the envelope, noticing with terror that the paper inside was written in red pen and had multiple spatters of Hīru's blood on it.

Of all times, you decide to be morbid when writing a farewell letter? You thought before skimming through the letter itself and letting a tear mix with blood on the paper. But why? Hīru, why?

Just why?