Coming Out

When I closed the door, my parents were out in the backyard, I couldn't get Gordon's parents out of my mind, something about the energy they gave off. Chase had said Gordon had been going to a therapy group, a LGBTQ one, his parents must know. I wonder how they took it. If the events of the past few weeks said anything, not well.

     I wonder if that had something to do with why he cheated on me.

     "Mom, Dad?" I greeted, leaning out of the screen door to the backyard.

     "Yes?" Mom chirped, and I had their attention.

     "I need to tell you something, it's important." I grabbed onto my arm and rocked on my heels slightly.

     Their carefree energy was stifled by the tone of my voice, the two of them instantly dropped into their serious parent stances. I sat down across from them, and took a deep breath. I was safe, I could do this.

     "Remember how you told me my string would come back if I wanted it to?" I asked, glancing up at them nervously.

     "Of course," my dad confirmed.

     "Well I've met someone new."

     My mom's face lit up, her teeth shined in the yellow afternoon light, "oh honey! Tell us all about him!"

     "That's the thing," I clasped my hands.

     "What, you think it's some kid we wouldn't approve of? Is your new soulmate a punk?" Dad asked jokingly.

     "It's... Rosie." I let the words leave my lips like an exhale.

     The two of them paused. My mom's mouth formed into an 'o', my dad had no expression. I could feel my heart hammering in my chest. Then their faces softened.

     "Oh, Gwen, were you scared about telling us?" Mom asked.

     "A little," I laughed nervously. "Not really anymore."

     "That's just swell," Dad assured, "In fact I think I approve of Rosie more."

     I laughed again, this time was genuine, easier, it was from my heart. Mom reached forward and gathered me into her arms and squeezed me in the normal Degray Bear Hug ™ fashion. Dad joined in with a humorous growl I was giggling from delight and the adrenaline rush that was seeping through every one of my pores.

     "We'll always love you, no matter who you love Gwen." Dad said, grinning at me, "we're so happy you told us. Congratulations to you and Rosie."

     "Thank you," I wheezed, "thank you guys so much."

     "We have to invite her over for dinner now!" Mom gasped, "we have so much to talk about."

     "How can it possible be anything she doesn't know already?" Dad chuckled, "we've known the girl for like, twelve years."

     "Oh, honey you know I just want a reason to use the china," She bopped his nose.

     "Of course, the china!" Dad gasped, winking at me, "Gwen, we have to invite her over now."

     I snorted, doubling over with laughter. "I love you guys so much."

     "We love you too," Mom kissed my cheek, "come on let's go get the china out."

     My joy was short lived, because then my phone buzzed. As with most time this had happened so far, it was both startling, like an avalanche is startling, and possibly some of the best news I might have received in that moment.  glanced down at my phone and my heart stopped when I read one singular text message.

     Gordon Jones shared their location with you.

     "Mom, Dad? Turns out there's been a little emergency... uh..." What could I possibly tell them, "Some news about Gordon has come up, I need to go."

     They stopped, and looked at each other, "Is he alright?"

     "I don't know yet, I'm going over to Rosie and then probably Chase's, it that okay?"

     From the look on their faces I could tell they didn't want me too go. "Keep us updated."

     I nodded, "Thanks."

     I grabbed my coat and a set of keys, and left.