He is protecting you, Lass. That's the answer. He always protected you. He basically is doing the same to her, what I'm doing to him. We are truly carved from the same wood. "He ordered to put all these guards at the border, to keep you safe, but you are at their mercy, right? I mean,... look at you...", she sobs.

I stroke over her head for a moment before softly pushing her away and she swiftly sweeps the tears from her cheeks. A quick look at Lester shows that he would also like to hold her to make things easier for her. Taking out the knife from the improvised belt I made myself I hold it in front of her. While she still tries to figure out what I want to tell her I take the knife to my fully healed right hand and run the blade through my palm, causing a deep wound.

Her eyes first widen in surprise but then she sees what I wanted to show her. It's healing. Not too fast but it does. She inspects my face once again and I nod, cleaning the knife at my trouser and tugging it away. "You... that's why...", she starts and I nod taking her by her shoulders. "I hate you.", she then replies and I can feel that she means it, but I also know it doesn't change anything between us. Everything will be fine. I just need to have patience and so does she. It's not easy what people expect from her, but she will do it as long as it's necessary. She is tough.

"Sir?", I can hear Lester interrupting. "Lady Blackwood also brought something personal to you.", gently reminding Eve about the black suitcase that he carried over and placed next to him. I smirk at how he addresses Eve. Guess he figured out his mistake last time he spoke.

***

My throat is already sore from still trying to get a response from Tobias as the sun finally dawns. As soon as the pain the light gives me is bearable I run outside to find my boy. His scent is faint, but I think I can follow it. There is no visible sign of him around and the only thing I can hear are the noises of the forest and its creatures.

On my way through the underbrush, I can also smell why I wouldn't be able to find him somewhere closer. Thugs. Their smells get richer as I come close to where they decided to stay for the night. I stay at the shadows first, to see what I'm dealing with. I can smell blood; Tobias' blood, but not enough to be seriously concerned. They hurt him though.

They will repay every single drop of blood.

His hands and feet are bound together with a rope and a piece of cloth in his mouth keeps him from screaming for help. The bleeding knuckles tell me that he tried to fight them. They must have taken him by surprise and hit his head. A boy like him can pitch a good price on the black market for slaves, I guess. Nobody will ever enslave my son. I can barely control my anger anymore about that thought.

The group of those bastards only consists of a handful of assholes. Easy. I step out of the shadows and wait for the first man to recognize me. A face ravaged by disease whistles as alarm and the guy points his knife at me. "If your life is dear to you, you better leave again.", he advises but I grin, while my eyes start to glow. "You kidnapped the wrong boy."

I show him my fangs. "Demon!", he yells and I jump at him. His companions try to get hold of me but the rage is taking over my mind and I start to drink and kill; ripping out throats and tongues, stabbing them with their own weapons. One manages to ram his knife at my back, just to find me ripping out his heart and drink the remaining blood in there. It's relieving to give them what they deserve.

Even though, another one is granted to escape. I want him to spread the word about the cursed piece of woods with the monster. This should keep his kind away from us for another while. To top his fear I release a dangerous growl, which I'm sure he can hear. Looking down at my feet I can see the puddles of blood forming around the bodies I left behind. I pant hard to get back the control of my mind. The blood smells so good.