Family and choices

Start from the beginning

He remembered when he was three and called Mother Gothel 'Mommy'. The slap he received that day had been historical. He couldn't see straight for days and the finger marks on his face were still there a month later.

How were parents in Auradon? Ben spoke of his parents a little the day they got here, but he spoke of them like Alex spoke of Dizzy.

In Goodness class Fairy Godmother told them again and again to ask an adult for help if they needed any.

Like they would actually get help and not a beating.

Flashes started playing inside his mind.

Sneaking Carlos out of Cruella's way, patching up Mal and Jay in the middle of the night, bringing rotten scraps of food to Evie when her mother refused to feed her. His own memories of the dark closet he was chained in started mocking him.

'Mom and Dad probably just got here.'

Alex was so caught up in his thoughts he didn't pay attention around, otherwise he would have heard the hurrying feet heading towards them 20 minutes ago.

The door burst open and Alex seriously considered letting Mal spray him with a hose for freezing again.

A brown haired woman rushed forward, tears flowing down her cheeks, as a tall blue-eyed man followed right after.

Had Alex been thinking straight, he would have either bolted around them or at least taken a defensive stance already expecting the first hit. But his mind was having a breakdown and that had never happened before.

The tears on the woman's face made his mind turn blank. He's never seen an adult crying before. Tears were a sign of weakness on the Isle.

"My baby boy!" The Queen of Auradon cried as she wrapped her arms around him, making him stiffen.

She was hugging him. Dipper than the hug Mal gave him, which had been about support and security. This was different.

She was holding him tight, like she was scared somebody would snatch him away, but also gently like he'd break otherwise. She was warm and she smelled like books and roses, but more natural, not like the over expensive perfume Audrey always wore that made Alex sneezed every time she was close.

But why was she hugging him?

'Mom and Dad probably just got here.'

She kissed his forehead.

Her lips were red and warm. A few tears fell on his head as she moved a strand of his hair out of his face. They had the same hair color.

The second time she hugged him his hands moved on their own and he was hugging her back.

Lie. Run. Bolt. Every instinct that was beaten into him chanted loudly in his head.

'Shut up.' He thought.

He felt more fresh tears fall on top of his head.

'Mom and Dad just got here.'

A hand ruffled his hair. This hand was bigger than Ben's.