Chapter 14: Keeping the Charade Alive

Start from the beginning

Cursing, Jade let herself fall onto the couch and let out a long, frustrated sigh. Fuck it all. What did she do to deserve such a difficult life? She’d once been an innocent teenager, a girl that wanted nothing more than to start her life and enjoy every moment living it. What a disaster that turned out to be. Instead she spent six years breathing, not really living, pondering and worrying, but not enjoying every damn second like she’d once dreamed off. It sucked big time.

Jade always used to believe that fairytales were true, despite what everyone told her. She honestly thought she’d meet her dream prince, marry him and have his babies. Sedric quickly shattered that perfect picture. Maybe it was a good thing those blinders were pulled from her eyes. Facing reality that soon in life showed her she’d been living in a dream world. Those tales didn’t really exist. They were created to give children a false sense of safety. Life definitely wasn’t as easy and beautiful as it was told in stories.

A knock on the door startled Jade. She wasn’t expecting anyone. Deciding to ignore whoever was planning on bothering her, she closed her eyes and tried to tune out the noise. Today was so not the day for social visits.

“I know you’re in there. Open the fucking door, Jade,” Sedric called out, his fist hitting the wooden surface of her door hard enough Jade was afraid he might wreck it. Cursing him in twenty different ways, Jade rose from the couch and stomped to the hallway.

“A second, you impatient pig,” she shouted back, intentionally taking a long time to unlock the door. Sedric was the last person she wanted to see today. She was done being his plaything. No more booty calls from now on.

“I’ve been waiting a damn eon,” Sedric retorted the moment Jade finally opened the door and let him in. He was still clad in a suit, probably just having left work.

“Don’t whine like a baby, Sed. It doesn’t suit you,” Jade pointed out as she closed the door once he was inside her apartment. What the hell was he doing there? He didn’t seriously expect her to let him spend another night again, right? He’d be even more stupid than she thought if he believed that.

“Don’t be such a bitch, buttercup. It doesn’t suit you,” Sedric fired back, smirking when he noticed her face fell.

“Are you here to insult me or what?” Jade questioned, growing impatient. Opening the door was clearly a mistake.

“No, I’m not,” Sedric denied as he took off his overcoat and hung it over the rail of the couch.

“No need to get comfortable,” Jade told him, crossing her arms. “You’ll be leaving soon.”

Sedric smirked, his eyes filled with amusement as he watched her. “Babe, don’t be afraid. I won’t eat you alive,” he grinned, taking a step closer and resting his hand on her hip.

Jade rolled her eyes and took a step back. His hand fell away and Sedric’s smile widened. He was clearly enjoying her reaction. “I’m not here for that if that’s what you’re thinking,” Sedric clarified, his eyes fixated on her boobs. Jade shifted uncomfortably and quickly let her arms drop next to her body.

“Then what the hell are you doing here?” Jade asked, her tone cold. She couldn’t show how affected she was by his presence. Sedric was already enjoying this way too much.

“I’m here to tell you you’ll be going to a family dinner with me next week,” Sedric told her. No question or explanation, a simple order. He could go screw himself.

“I don’t think so,” Jade refused, shaking her head. “Our deal was clear. I covered my part. You promised you’d leave me alone after we returned from the island.”