Chapter 14: Keeping the Charade Alive

Börja om från början

“You’re such a control freak! It isn’t healthy behavior, you know?” Kate said, shaking her head. “Anyway, that’s not why I’m here.”

“Then why are you here?” Sedric asked skeptically with a raised eyebrow. Kate loved to visit him, but most of the time she had a solid reason to bother him.

“I’m holding a family dinner party next week and I’d like you and Jade to come,” Kate stated. Sedric internally groaned. His sister still believed he was dating Jade. He hadn’t found the courage yet to tell her the truth. Of course Kate had to plan a dinner party where Jade was invited too. He should’ve seen this coming. It was so like Kate.

“I don’t know, baby girl. Jade is a busy woman. I’m not sure she’ll be able join us,” Sedric dismissed. He should tell his sister the real reason why Jade couldn’t join them, but he was too damn cowardly to do it. He couldn’t even muster the courage to lie further by saying they had broken up. He’d hate to see the disappointment and hurt in Kate’s eyes. He’d already put her through enough the past six years.

“That’s BS, Sed. Everyone needs to take a break from time to time. I’m sure if you tell Jade it’s important to the family that she joins us, she’ll make some time,” Kate protested, not taking ‘no’ for an answer.

“We both have busy schedules, Kate. Try to understand that,” Sedric argued. He couldn’t let Kate talk him into this. Jade would strangle him.

“Get your priorities straight, brother. This is important to me. One night is not going to turn your lives upside down,” Kate stressed.

Sedric sighed deeply, knowing he was fighting a lost battle. Emotional blackmail was going to be his death one day. “We’ll come, but I can’t promise we’ll stay all night,” he eventually agreed, already afraid to see Jade’s reaction. She was not going to like this.

“Perfect,” Kate grinned. “You can go home after dessert if you like, but of course, I’d rather see you both stay until the rest of the family decides to leave.”

“I offer you a finger and you take a hand. Jade leaves when she wants to leave. Be happy I agreed to this,” Sedric grunted.

“You’re no fun, Sed, no fun at all,” Kate smiled. “I’m going to head home now. Michael should be due home soon to try and make babies. Today is my most fertile day of the month!”

Sedric cursed as his sister started to squeal in delight. “That’s way too much information, Kate!” he groaned. Dammit. He did not want to know that.

“You baby,” Kate grinned. “It’s nothing to be ashamed of.” Laughing, Kate walked to the door. “See you next week, brother. Don’t be late. Dinner starts at six,” and with that Kate left the room. It was going to be a long week for Sedric.

***

Jade was still pissed at herself when she came home from work that day. She ignored all calls and texts from Stephanie and just acted like that morning hadn’t happened. It hurt too much to admit that she’d made another fatal mistake. Sleeping with Sed, a-fucking-gain, had been a bad idea, probably one of the worst she’d had the past year.

She’d texted Tyler on her way home and told him they could no longer see each other. Sedric might not be the man for her, but Tyler wasn’t either. She should’ve realized that sooner instead of fooling around with him. Jade needed a decent man at her side, someone that wouldn’t suggest a fuck-buddy relationship the moment they noticed she was emotionally unavailable. They should fight to win her attention and make her feel something – anything. Tyler wasn’t the guy to make her change her mind.