Chapter 29 The Doctor Dances Part 1

"Go to your room." The Doctor began to speak sternly to the gas masks that we walking towards us. Us trapped between them and the wall. I watched the Doctor as he continued to try and order the gas masked zombies away from us. "Go to your room!" He repeated talking to them like they were disobedient children, which caused them to and tilt their heads. I looked at him confused as I wondered why this was working. "I mean it! I am very, very angry with you. I am very, VERY cross! Go - to - your – ROOM!" He pointed violently in no general direction and they slowly began to meek away to there beds once again. We watched them for a second before the Doctor breathed saying. "I'm really glad that worked. Those would've been TERRIBLE last words." I couldn't help but to laugh at the sudden relief of what happened.

"Yes they would have been." I responded to the Doctor grinning once again.

.....

"Why are they all wearing gas masks?" Rose questioned sat beside one of the patients in the room. I leaned my hands on the desk that I was sharing with Smiths, while Jack sat behind us on chair and the Doctor standing in front of us.

"They're not. Those masks are a part of them. Flesh and bone." Smiths explained to Rose.

"How was your con supposed to work?" The Doctor began to start his interrogation on Jack and Smiths once again.

"Simple enough, really. Find some harmless piece of space-junk... let the nearest Time Agent track it back to Earth. Convince him it's valuable, name a price. When he's put 50% up front - oops! A German bomb falls on it, destroys it forever. He never gets to see what he's paid for. Never knows he's been had. I buy him a drink with his own money, and we discuss dumb luck. The perfect self-cleaning con." Jack answered his questioned honestly.

"Yeah. Perfect." The Doctor scoffed giving Jack a stern look.

"The London Blitz is great for self-cleaners - Pompeii's nice if you want to make a vacation of it though, but you've got to set your alarm for volcano day." Jack mentioned laughing at his own joke, but the Doctor merely looked at him. When Jack saw the look his laughter died. "Getting a hint of disapproval. Smithies gave me that look once when I first told her about this, she never stopped me though." I turned my head to Smiths as I heard that.

"Why didn't you?" I questioned.

"It's complicated." She replied with a small smile.

"Complicated? Why?" The Doctor asked her, Smiths just looked away before looking back to him.

"Because I know things you don't... well not yet anyway." She stated before jumping up and looking at the patients. I could see a frown on her face. "It's a shame how the ship did this though."

"It was a burnt-out medical transporter - it was empty. You know that Smiths" Jack retorted, the Doctor looked at him darkly.

"Re, Rose." The Doctor caught our attention before heading towards the door.

"We getting out of here?" Rose pipped up a question standing up.

"We're going upstairs." He explained as I jumped off the table. I gave Smiths a wave before walking to where the Doctor was.

"Smiths programmed the flight computer so it wouldn't land on anything living - We harmed no-one! I don't know what's happening here, but believe me - We had nothing to do with it." Jack called after us.

"I'll tell you what's happening. You forgot to set your alarm clock. It's volcano day." The Doctor responded as a siren went off.

"What's that?" Rose wondered out loud.

"The all-clear." Jack answered her.

"I wish." The Doctor left the ward. I glanced as Rose before we began following.