Chapter 9

Her eyes closed, heart beating hard. Lillie stepped out from the changing room. In her mind, time slowed. Silence around here, even with the bustling crowd. Though many were going about their business, quite a few took notice of her stunning appearance. Wearing a red evening dress, fitting snug onto her body. A few boys certainly enjoyed it, but there was only one that she wanted to impress the most.

"Wow..." She heard a voice say, knowing who's it was, she slowly opened one eye. There she saw Ash staring at her, with clear glowing approval from his eyes. Gaining a little confidence, she opened both her eyes.

"So I take it that you like it?" She asked, already knowing the answer.

"Like it? I love it!" He replied with great enthusiasm. "I'm sure everyone else will love it too." She blushed from the praise. She knew that he was talking about her dress. But it filled her with warmth to hear her crush compliment her appearance.

"You really think so?" She asked, forgetting that her hold formal event was a lie.

"Of course!" He responded. Then he came up with an idea. "Wait a second, let me try something." He walked up to her and grabbed her hair.

"W-what are you doing, Ash?!" She was in shock at how close he was. Adjusting her hair, touching her. She felt her body heat up instantly and her fair pale skin clearly reddened. She hoped that he wouldn't notice, but she couldn't control herself.

"Don't worry." He assured her she was in good hands. "I'm not an expert, but you learn a few thing when you travel with coordinators and performers." She calmed down, only just a little, and let him do his work. She didn't look, partially because she wanted to be surprised at what he was going. It also was because she didn't want to think of him touching her like this. "And... done!" He finished, pulling her to a nearby mirror. "What do you think?"

"Wow..." She was impressed. He did up her hair, making her seem much more mature. Like she was really about to go to a ball. "I love it!" Smiling at him, she realized that maybe she should tell him soon.

"Thanks, it's nothing really." He replied modestly. "I think you'd look wonderful if you went either way, to be honest." She blushed, did he think that she was... cute?

"Oh, um." She struggled to gather the words from being caught of guard. She looked away from him to hide her newfound shade of red. "T-thanks."

"No problem." He said, completely unaware of her strange behavior. "With this, I'm sure you'll do great! Right Pikachu?"

"Pika-pika!" His Pokemon responded affirmatively. Lillie's Vulpix nodded along in agreement. Even though it wasn't aware of any formal event being planned by her household.

"R-right!" She answered in confidence, despite knowing that nothing of the sort was even happening.

"Awesome! Then I guess we're picking this one then?" He asked partially wanting to leave the crowded store. "If we got some extra time maybe we can grab some of the ice cream they got here." He offered, remembering when he had gone with Sophocles some time ago.

"Ice cream?" She wondered, was he asking her on a date. No that's just silly she thought. It was just her imagination just playing tricks on her. Right?

"Yeah, I don't know if you've had it, but it's great!" He answered her question, unaware of what was really on her mind. Pikachu danced excitedly at the thought of enjoying some of that ice cream. But to her, this might've been the time to act.

"Say Ash..." She got his attention. He looked at her, confused. Even one as ignorant as him, could see that there was something different about the way she was acting in this very moment. "What do you think of spending time with me?" She asked, her heart beating heavily. She wanted to straight out ask him, what he felt. But those words wouldn't come out. Instead, maybe an indirect approach might work. Then again, it is Ash she's is talking about.

"Lillie what's gotten into you?" He asked.

"A-answer the question please." Being more assertive, but her confidence, or lack thereof, betrayed her.

"Of course I enjoy spending time with you. I hope that you didn't thought otherwise." He replied truthfully.

"Did you ever think that time was a little special?"

"Special? I guess I never really gave it that much thought." Hand under chin, he thought about it. Trying to decipher what she was meaning.

"I-I see." She replied in defeat. A single tear rolling down her cheek. He may not have outright said it, but to her. His answer was clear. Without thinking, she ran back into her changing room.

"Lillie! What's wron..." He tried to stop her, but she got into before he could say anything else. It's not as though he could follow her. So he had no choice but to wait. Inside, she sat there. Unable to contain the tears.